• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

02 Edge 600 backfiring on idle... any suggestions?

Mtnbkr738

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
Polaris edge 600
Hi all,
newbie alert!
So i picked up this very clean 02 600
Engine rebuilt about 500 miles ago. Has an aftermarket pipe.
I did clean out carbs.

On idle it backfires. Is this because of the pipes? Or Carb issue??

See Video attached. WATCH WHERE ENGINE IS IDLEING TOWARD END OF VIDEO...IT BACKFIRES..Thx!!

Last edited:
Sounds like its lean and popping through the entire video. Play with the choke when you are adding some throttle and see if it gets any better.
Looks like a SLP pipe, I would get a hold of their jetting info for that sled and check that its correct.

Sounds like its lean and popping through the entire video. Play with the choke when you are adding some throttle and see if it gets any better.
Looks like a SLP pipe, I would get a hold of their jetting info for that sled and check that its correct.

WHERE would i find the jetting info for starting line products... THX!

Guessing the previous owner didn't include any info for the pipe? the jetting info is in the installation instructions.
If you're sure its an SLP pipe you can try searching online for the instructions or else you are going to have to call or email them get it.

Guessing the previous owner didn't include any info for the pipe? the jetting info is in the installation instructions.
If you're sure its an SLP pipe you can try searching online for the instructions or else you are going to have to call or email them get it.

ok it’s speed works. here is what they told me it should be: 430 main. i dunno what’s in carb now. will take apart again and look

could it be reeds?

Thats not going to help your problem, the main jet is barely active at idle. You need the needle settings as well as the fuel screw since this all involves the low speed circuit.
Reeds is a possibility, is it spitting back alot into the airbox?
Was it running like this when you bought it?

Thats not going to help your problem, the main jet is barely active at idle. You need the needle settings as well as the fuel screw since this all involves the low speed circuit.
Reeds is a possibility, is it spitting back alot into the airbox?
Was it running like this when you bought it?

update;
yes it was running rough when i got it.. owner didnt want to mess with it. his loss, hopefully my gain :)
yes putting on choke alittle does smooth it out.

Reeds are spotless see pics.

QUESTION: im thinking of REPLACING, not just cleaning all the jets and screws in carb-- can someone help me find correct kit on ebay or amazon??? do i really need ALL the gaskets and O rings, or can i just swap all jets. carbs are spotless (whole machine is actually) see pics.

thx for help!
dr

sled-s.png

reeds-s.png

reeds-2-s.png

Well since the choke helped then its definitely looking for more fuel which at idle is controlled mostly by the pilot jet and fuel screw. Putting in a whole kit with new gaskets & orings isn't a bad idea since the new material will be suited for ethanol fuels. You should be able to find the right kit through Dennis Kirk since they have a sled specific parts search.

Absolutely, that motor is looking for more fuel at the low RPM's. New gaskets will be a major help. Also inspect the boots and make sure there is no cracks or delamination of the rubber. That will allow too much air in there.

Are you sure the carb is clean, sounds like it could be a plugged pilot.

Just bought complete rebuild kit- i will assemble and keep you all posted thx!

Rebuilt carb- not just cleaned- but all new seals and jets and gaskets. BINGO. That fixed it. thx for the help-- now to find some snow to really test it!!

Rebuilt carb- not just cleaned- but all new seals and jets and gaskets. BINGO. That fixed it. thx for the help-- now to find some snow to really test it!!
Awesome job!!

WAIT- STOP THE PRESSES!... so i took it out last night for longer ride to really test it... LOW END is great- nice and peppy... no back fires and idles great.... but the mid to high end is really flat... 50mph is max... i feel like it has no power from 50% to full throttle.... any ideas???

Are you sure your Exhaust Valves are working, try cleaning those.

I would be looking at clutch springs as a possibility too. Those 20 year old springs are probably a little tired.

I would be looking at clutch springs as a possibility too. Those 20 year old springs are probably a little tired.
Can you recommend any videos on how to rebuild primary and secondary clutch on 2002 xc?? thx!

Here's 2 that give a good idea of the process, I'm guessing you only want to clean and maybe do a spring replacement on the primary? A full rebuild requires alot of specialty tools to hold the clutch and a very big wrench since its spider assembly & retaining nut are torqued to 250ft/lbs.
Also get ahold of a service manual since its good to have anyway, shows the clutch rebuild in detail, and you will need the bolt torques.
Probably want to get a set of clutch buttons for the secondary since you are going in there and they are a high wear item.

Back
Top Bottom