• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

04 800XC engine rattle

srt_ninja

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2004 Polaris 800XC
Here’s my problem I ran into earlier today. Copied from a post I made in another group.

Mechanical question for everyone. I have a 2004 Polaris 800 XC. I bought it in Dec and today was the second time I had it out. First ride was 160km with no issues. Today I was 30km into a ride and it suddenly quit. It started right up again but there is a rattle coming from the bottom end on the drive belt side. I turned around to come home and 30ft later it dies again. It is now a little harder to turn over with the pull cord but it does start. I got a tow to the nearest road and when I got back with my truck it started and ran well enough to drive it up onto the trailer. Fluid levels are all fine. It has around 8000km on it. Don't know about any previous engine work but the older gentlemen I bought it off of denies any previous issues with it. Thoughts?

Was it stored for a while? like more than one season?
Sounds like either rust in the bottom end took out a bearing or dirty carburetor leaned out one cylinder.
Its also possible one of the oil fittings that feeds the motor is plugged too.
Wont know for sure until you get it apart.

Back
Top Bottom