• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

181 Miles on My Assault-Amazing Sled

Lenn Johnson

I managed in 181 miles/7.2 hours of riding in this past weekend in Pittsburg NH. You guys are going to love your new Assaults! Top speed recall says I hit 107 MPH. This was on a packed but not groomed trail and only a short straightaway. The 2017 fuel mapping is much better than the 2016. The sled starts easier, idles better, and has no stumbles and gurgles. I was seeing 8400 rpms on the 2nd day and I don't think I'm completely out of break in yet. Clutching is spot on. I'm a clutching guru and always change the factory clutching but the clutching is dialed in so well that it's going to be hard to beat. My Assault is much faster than my 2016 800 Pro S. It absolutely rips!! Can't believe how well this new combination of motor, chassis, track length, and IGX suspension works. Sorry Pro S and Rush Switchback guys but this sled is in a different league. Does everything those sleds do but better.... Pulls the skis up on demand. Transfer is amazing. I really like this IGX rear skid. It absolutely smokes the pogo stick Rush skid.(I've had 2 Rush sleds so I know 1st hand how they ride) So fire back with your questions and I'll do my best to answer them.
grgrin.gif

Attached Thumbnails

Awesome lenn
Glad to see it works for you

I do have a question?

Are you all stock?
Cuz 8400 rpm with stock everything is to high bud and out of your power band a little .max is 8300 rpm all stock

Anyways, don't wanna derail the thread , I can't wait to ride mine

sounds great Lenn how did ur rpm,s start out like with o miles 50 miles 100 miles did thy keep climbing up to 8400 rpm,s an im sure u rode her hard for the good breakin i cant wait to break mine in thx for sharing

Awesome lenn
Glad to see it works for you

I do have a question?

Are you all stock?
Cuz 8400 rpm with stock everything is to high bud and out of your power band a little .max is 8300 rpm all stock

Anyways, don't wanna derail the thread , I can't wait to ride mine

All stock. I understand your concern. But....I've been clutching sleds for years and understand it as well as anyone on this forum. I'm going to test your clutching experience with a question....What do you read from the fact I'm over-reving a bit?

sounds great Lenn how did ur rpm,s start out like with o miles 50 miles 100 miles did thy keep climbing up to 8400 rpm,s an im sure u rode her hard for the good breakin i cant wait to break mine in thx for sharing
1st ride 2 weeks ago it started at 7900, then 8000. 1st thing Sat morning I was seeing 8000, then 8100 then 8250 and by the end of the day 8350. Sunday was a cold 0 degrees and warmed up to 19 degrees by mid day. At this point it would shift right to 8350 and climb to 8400 and stay there. I watch my tach like a hawk.

All stock. I understand your concern. But....I've been clutching sleds for years and understand it as well as anyone on this forum. I'm going to test your clutching experience with a question....What do you read from the fact I'm over-reving a bit?
Since we dyno'd a 15 and 16
and most hp power is at 8300 and most torque is at 8100

The 17 is different because of timing retarded at break in now. 2-3 degrees up top.Before it used to be just fuel and oil for break in. Now it's fuel, oil and timing retarded for break in

The 17's do carry power to 8400 rpm, but that can be because the timing is retarded at break in mode. That can change once actual timing is the same as desired.
So, it may not carry power to 8400?

I'm not trying to tell you what to do
Just making discussion

I'm also spinning 8400. I personally think that the drive train is still too tight, especially the track and hasn't loosened up yet. A friend of mine has last year's Pro X Switchback and he was over revving when it had hardly any miles on it. Now after the drive train, especially the track has loosened up the rpm has come down.

I'm also spinning 8400. I personally think that the drive train is still too tight, especially the track and hasn't loosened up yet. A friend of mine has last year's Pro X Switchback and he was over revving when it had hardly any miles on it. Now after the drive train, especially the track has loosened up the rpm has come down.

RPM goes down with less load?

So a hypothetical question.

If I was full throttle, settled in at 8300 RPM and squeezed the brake hard, the tendency would be for downshift and higher rev?

Thanks for answering my questions. I feel like I'm coming off as a pain in the butt, but I'm trying to reconcile what I know with what I thought I knew.

I read olavs clutch book when I was a kid. I think I need to revisit it.

So a hypothetical question.

If I was full throttle, settled in at 8300 RPM and squeezed the brake hard, the tendency would be for downshift and higher rev?

Thanks for answering my questions. I feel like I'm coming off as a pain in the butt, but I'm trying to reconcile what I know with what I thought I knew.

I read olavs clutch book when I was a kid. I think I need to revisit it.
I've never done that as it would be kind of hard on the belt and maybe not a good idea.

Hard on the brakes too!

Since we dyno'd a 15 and 16
and most hp power is at 8300 and most torque is at 8100

The 17 is different because of timing retarded at break in now. 2-3 degrees up top.Before it used to be just fuel and oil for break in. Now it's fuel, oil and timing retarded for break in

The 17's do carry power to 8400 rpm, but that can be because the timing is retarded at break in mode. That can change once actual timing is the same as desired.
So, it may not carry power to 8400?

I'm not trying to tell you what to do
Just making discussion

I realize you are just pointing things out, thanks. I just wanted to make sure you knew "why" I'm over reving. Too many people on snowmobile forums don't have the experience you or I have and tend to suggest what to do when they have no business doing so. By the way, I appreciate all the R&D you guys do. Helps immensely when clutching this sled. Also this sled feels much stronger than my sled felt last season. I must have had a lemon!
You are correct, it is because the timing is retarded 2 degrees which makes the peak power move up a bit in the RPM range. Once out of break in mode, the increased timing should move the powerband down a bit and the sled should shift at 8300-8350. If it doesn't, this is a good problem to have. It means my engine is making more power than the clutching was designed for. Easy fix, just add more weight and I automatically get more power to the track. I believe our sleds come with 10-66 weights right?

Last edited:
I realize you are just pointing things out, thanks. I just wanted to make sure you knew "why" I'm over reving. Too many people on snowmobile forums don't have the experience you or I have and tend to suggest what to do when they have no business doing so. By the way, I appreciate all the R&D you guys do. Helps immensely when clutching this sled. Also this sled feels much stronger than my sled felt last season. I must have had a lemon!
You are correct, it is because the timing is retarded 2 degrees which makes the peak power move up a bit in the RPM range. Once out of break in mode, the increased timing should move the powerband down a bit and the sled should shift at 8300-8350. If it doesn't, this is a good problem to have. It means my engine is making more power than the clutching was designed for. Easy fix, just add more weight and I automatically get more power to the track. I believe our sleds come with 10-66 weights right?

All good lenn.
I like to read your unbiased/non biased reports on sleds . Not to many guys give the honest report Div20

Now, I need to ride mine :Banghead

Um
Loose is fast
Tight is slow

Back
Top Bottom