• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

1980 Centurion Bog at higher RPMs

80 Centurion

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1980 Polaris Centurion
Dug out our Family's 1980 Centurion from the barn, it's 20 yr nap. It has no mods and has never had a screw turned on any of the carbs, always ran well, 3,100 miles on it.
Cleaned carbs, fuel tank and Fuel pump, added new fuel lines as well. It starts ok, a little flooding, great power band but when it gets to about 50mph or so it bogs, I get that empty hone sound as I squeeze the throttle more. If I let off and slow down I can start over through the cycle again. Do you think I should find a replacement Fuel pump, or start exploratory surgery on the one or both of the clutches? Thanks in advance for any opinion.

Sitting for 20 years? Replace both clutch springs, probably sacked. Take apart and clean both clutchs. New plugs for sure.

Did you replace the fuel pickup line inside the tank? If not do it.

Last edited:
Yes. I would say the clutches have to come appart. To the plugs, also add:

-Belt
-Make sure the vacuum line to the fuel pump is good
-U might as well do a fuel pump rebuild kit
-Make sure carb boots arn't cracked or dry rotted.

I'm kinda jealous. I let my stuff sit for 6 months and its all mice, rust, bad gas and dead batteries. Here you are ripping a 30 year old sled that sat for 20.

Tell me your secrets!

Thanks to you both for the help, and the tips, i will follow all of them probably 1 at a time so I know what fixed it!
Now with the Holidays I wont have much time to inspect and replace but am very anxious. Fun to hear it run again, it has this cool sizzling sound during the Power band acceleration. Rode as a kid but probably did not pay much attention, I will be back in touch to let you know how it went.
Thanks again Friends!!

The old sleds are still my favs and great memories.

Good advice, hope it works out well after checking all these things

Thanks for asking but this machine comes with family memories, we have owned since it was new and now that I am an empty Nestor, I have time to start a new hobby and hoping attend some Vintage rides.
Thanks.

The old sleds are still my favs and great memories.

Good advice, hope it works out well after checking all these things

Looks like a Fuel Pump was the answer! I could have damaged it upon cleaning or maybe the screen was damaged, not sure but I'm off and riding my Vintage, thank to all!!

Great news! After you run it for a few miles, take a look at your spark plugs as an extra check to make sure it's not too lean/rich and all three cylinders are running well. Take pictures and post them here if you want.

Also, if you can, check your oil ratio. Fill the oil tank, fill the gas tank, ride for 50 miles or so, then fill both back up and see how much oil vs how much gas you used.

Checking these couple things on a machine this old (or any age really) can go a long way to make sure it will run for a long time.

Great news! After you run it for a few miles, take a look at your spark plugs as an extra check to make sure it's not too lean/rich and all three cylinders are running well. Take pictures and post them here if you want.

Also, if you can, check your oil ratio. Fill the oil tank, fill the gas tank, ride for 50 miles or so, then fill both back up and see how much oil vs how much gas you used.

Checking these couple things on a machine this old (or any age really) can go a long way to make sure it will run for a long time.
How old are you pow? The Centurion is premix only.

How old are you pow? The Centurion is premix only.

Well then, it should be allot easier to get the oil ratio correct!

I'm 41 going on 21, sometimes 12.

My early memories are yamaha and ski doo related. I assumed a higher end polaris would have oil injection in that era. I be wrong.

When did polaris start getting injection?

Just f'n wit ya. The 84 Indy600 was the first triple to get injected. The 83 Indy Trail was the first Injected Indy.

Last edited:
Just f'n wit ya. The 84 Indy600 was the first triple to get injected. The 83 Indy Trail was the first Injected Indy.

So many people tore the oil injection off the early Yamaha sleds, you could probably say yamaha didn't have injection till then either!

Yeah, it is premix 40/1. I will post pics of the plugs after I get a good afternoon of riding sometime. Never hurts to have others see what they look like. I'm going to buy a Uni-Syn gauge to sync the carbs, just followed the shop manual for now but want to be sure they are matched.
Have a good week.

Attended the Waconia Mn Vintage Snowmobile ride on Jan 27th. A lot of old stuff and what people have created was very interesting. Had to be 5 acres of swap meet space filled up with about everything you could need, vendors too!. If anyone has availability to an original custom fit type cover for my 80 Centurion (non indy), please drop me a note. The less faded the better.
Hope everyone is enjoying some vintage events this year

Does anyone know where I could find matching paint for these late 70's early 80's machines? I'm sure I'm out of luck looking for a spray can but looking for ideas? Looking for that deep blue color.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom