• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

2001 RMK 800 Electrical Issue

montanaflying

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2001 Polaris RMK 800, 1990 Polaris Indy 400
Hello All, brand new member here looking for a little direction with a sled we inherited. We have a 2001 Polaris RMK 800 that had three things go out at once, which makes us think this is maybe a relay or some type of controller that has gone out. Electric start, headlight and handle bar heaters all went out at the same time. Could anyone more familiar with these sleds give us some direction as to what might have caused this. Thanks in advance to all. We look forward to getting out on the sled soon!

Ignore the electric start and battery for now, they are a separate circuit from the main electrical system of the sled that is only connected back in to recharge the battery. The sled can run independently of them.
You most likely blew the voltage regulator, that controls the stator voltage to the headlight, warmers and any accessories. Its probably why the battery didn't recharge either. Its located in front of the right footwell under the hood. They are known to blow.
You can check the regulator by unplugging it and starting the sled, DO NOT go above idle (3000 rpm) while its unplugged, the headlight and warmers should be working now. If you rev the motor it will go overvoltage and blow out all the bulbs, so be careful while doing this.
Get that side working first then you can put a charger on the battery and see whats going on with the electric start.
Wouldnt hurt to hunt down a service manual if you are planning on keeping it, used ones pop up on EBAY regularly.

Ignore the electric start and battery for now, they are a separate circuit from the main electrical system of the sled that is only connected back in to recharge the battery. The sled can run independently of them.
You most likely blew the voltage regulator, that controls the stator voltage to the headlight, warmers and any accessories. Its probably why the battery didn't recharge either. Its located in front of the right footwell under the hood. They are known to blow.
You can check the regulator by unplugging it and starting the sled, DO NOT go above idle (3000 rpm) while its unplugged, the headlight and warmers should be working now. If you rev the motor it will go overvoltage and blow out all the bulbs, so be careful while doing this.
Get that side working first then you can put a charger on the battery and see whats going on with the electric start.
Wouldnt hurt to hunt down a service manual if you are planning on keeping it, used ones pop up on EBAY regularly.
Thank you for the info, that makes things a little clearer for a noob. Just ordered a shop manual. Being a noob in a little unclear what here is the regulator, I was told the black box on coolant reservoir was a CDI? Could you narrow down that location? Also, is it normal for the yellow wire to be there unconnected? Thanks again, DM me a mailing address and I’ll send a gift card to your local watering hole.

Attachments

• IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3203.jpg
    IMG_3203.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 86
Ha, I appreciate the gift card offer but I've gleaned plenty of information off of others on forums like this over the years, so I'm just paying it back now that I'm the knowledgeable one.
Yes, thats the CDI on the reservoir, that controls your ignition timing curve. You shouldn't ever have to touch that box. IIRC that hanging wire is normal, but its been a few years since I've been under the hood of one of these sleds.
What you are looking for is behind the pipe and above the footwell, usually mounted to that aluminum piece above your foot. I can't make it out in that picture but should look like below....
Also don't buy an aftermarket or used one, have to suck it up and pay Polaris on this one. The aftermarket ones do not last long at all from what I've seen.

1673051635786.jpeg
1673051654638.jpeg

I would also disconnect the negative battery cable while doing this testing to make sure the batterys not putting a strain on the charging system at this point.

Back
Top Bottom