• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

2010 Polaris Dragon 800

Andrew Zebrun III

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
800 Polaris Dragon
I was out of snowmobiling for awhile so I jumped back in with a 2010 Polaris Dragon 800.

Great sled, 2700 miles, runs good but the coolant level was low. I added about 10 ounces a little at a time. I put 3 miles on it around my yard and it seems to be a little bit below the full cold mark after I add a few ounces.

It could have a leak anywhere, or maybe it just had air in the cooling system?

This was a leftover model bought in 2013 so it hasn't even been run 5 years yet.

I'm guessing it may need new water pump seals, bearings.

Is that a hard job to do on these motors? It's not burning coolant in the the cylinders, no white smoke, the plugs do not look like they've been getting wet.

Try bleeding the cooling system 1st. Raise the front end of the sled in the air about a foot or a bit more. It helps get the coolant through the tunnel coolers easier/quicker. Make sure your coolant is at the proper cold mark when starting it up. As it gets up to temperature, use the bleed screw on top of the Thermostat housing to get the air out. Keep an eye on the coolant bottle that it doesn't get below the intake line to the motor.

Thanks, I'll try bleeding the cooling system. I read about all the other problems people had with this motor and wondered if I had just bought someone else's problem? My last sled was a 1990's Arctic Cat Pantera, it had a hole in the heat exchanger under the tunnel. It was not easy to get the heat exchanger out to be tig welded. The guy I got it from knowingly sold me his problem. I have a hard time doing that, but others don't.

Seems OK now, coolant level stays at the full mark.

Guess I was over thinking it after getting the shaft with my first sled.

I did find some damage the previous owner didn't mention but fixed it with JB Weld.

Going to make a new sled a must do one day~! Not buying other's problems again~!

Now we need snow, got more in Nov. when the trails were closed~!

Seems OK now, coolant level stays at the full mark.

Guess I was over thinking it after getting the shaft with my first sled.

I did find some damage the previous owner didn't mention but fixed it with JB Weld.

Going to make a new sled a must do one day~! Not buying other's problems again~!

Now we need snow, got more in Nov. when the trails were closed~!

The sled is fine, just had air in the cooling system. The trails finally opened & I got to

put a few miles on it. This Dragon really rips~!

Back
Top Bottom