• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

95 Indy 500 Carb Question

Dirty Red Neck

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
95 Polaris Indy 500
99 Polaris 700 Triple
Hello All,

Picked up two old sleds from my brother, 95 indy 500 and a 97/99 (not sure) 700 triple. I have never snowmobiled before and got them cheap and just want to beat them around the property. The 500 starts but when running will bog down so I flip it to half choke and it saves the machine. He does no maintenance and I am sure the carbs have never been cleaned. I watched some vids and it looks easy, question is, do I have to do any tuning once the carbs are reinstalled?

If so, any pointers would be beneficial. If it seems like a huge pain it will get sold as is, I want it to run but don't plan on putting much time/money into it.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Hello All,

Picked up two old sleds from my brother, 95 indy 500 and a 97/99 (not sure) 700 triple. I have never snowmobiled before and got them cheap and just want to beat them around the property. The 500 starts but when running will bog down so I flip it to half choke and it saves the machine. He does no maintenance and I am sure the carbs have never been cleaned. I watched some vids and it looks easy, question is, do I have to do any tuning once the carbs are reinstalled?

If so, any pointers would be beneficial. If it seems like a huge pain it will get sold as is, I want it to run but don't plan on putting much time/money into it.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Should not have to tune anything if you dont mess with the idle or mix screws. Sounds to me like your pilot jets are plugged to they most definitely need a carb cleaning.

Thanks for the reply Mr. Sled.

I actually pulled the carbs, cleaned them, reset them to factory specs and it ran like a top Saturday. Swapped out some fuel lines and greased the zerks Sunday morning and by 2pm it was gone, doubled my money on that one. Ill be back when I tear into the 700, that one has nothing on the cluster/lighting working at all but boy does it scream compared to the 500.

Thanks for the reply Mr. Sled.

I actually pulled the carbs, cleaned them, reset them to factory specs and it ran like a top Saturday. Swapped out some fuel lines and greased the zerks Sunday morning and by 2pm it was gone, doubled my money on that one. Ill be back when I tear into the 700, that one has nothing on the cluster/lighting working at all but boy does it scream compared to the 500.

Nice work!!

Back
Top Bottom