• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

98 xc 700 660ft snow drag clutch an gearing

Brett

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2015 Indy SP LE 600
2005 XC SP 600
1996 XCR 440 SP
1989 Indy Sport 340
looking for a setup to run for upcoming races. That is known to work.

62-64 grams 140/300 primary 50/36.-50/38 earlansson purple secondary at approx 12-14 lbs of twist. That's a pretty decent hardpack set up using readily available generic parts. Your gonna need good traction to hook it up so spend some time on the chassis set up to get it to come out hard. Stud it pretty heavily no less than 144 more like 192. 1.175 or maybe 1.2 but make sure you don't run track to loose the 1.2 will hit the tunnel. I can't stress enough how important it will be to spend the time getting it to hook up. That set up pulls pretty hard but you gotta get it out of the hole. If you can't control spin maybe drop initial primary rate a lil. But don't go crazy. Keep the finish at or real close to 300.make sure the air screws are right for the given temp and it comes out clean no burble or bog. You could drop to a 178/180 stagger or 180/182 depending on temps. You could get fancier w adjustable weights etc. I also used to polish the Ramps on the helix .there are faster set ups but this works well and is totally trail friendly also. Maybe try a 48/36 progressive .

You could hear it down a touch but again you will have to control the spin so I wouldn't go more than maybe a tooth .stock was 24/40 if I remember correctly. I don't know what you have for a track so it's hard to say.

Lid gave some good advice .

It's all about the 60 foot times. That gets set up by suspension alone. Lid mentioned this.

You wanna be doing at least 90+ mph at end of 660'.
So, something in the 1.80- 1.90 ratios will work .

What about the 38x helix that I seem to see everyone taking about?

What kind of helix are you recommending lid? Dalton?

I would use a 50/36, it works well.. silver/blue spring in last hole

Ahhhhhgggg it's been a lot of years so idk I like dalton helix but back then I think I was using a formax but they didn't measure correct the stray angle was right but the finish was off a degree or 2 so a 36 was a 37/38 I think I used that but also used a 50/36 Polaris .the start angle is short on those so it's only 50 for a lil bit. There was a lot of diff ones with varying length of start angle. The Polaris is pretty easy to come by .but if you use a formax don't get a 38 cause it's more like a 39/40 if I remember correctly. Each sled is a lil different which is why I'm giving 2 choices. Also there are 220 and 824 cyl sleds. The 220 was a lil more desirable.but 824 is ok also. Again if I remember correctly the 220 ran a lil better with less top rpm like 7900-8000 and 824 likes 8000-8100

It's the last 3 numbers on side of cyl

My buddy picked the sled up tonight. It has the 220 cylinders boost bottle and slp single pipe. Going to pull clutches off to see what's in them

Back
Top Bottom