• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

'98 XLT 600 Special - Bad PTO bearing

Northernsledder

Which company do you guys recommend for crank work? I would also consider a good used crank or complete engine, as I have not been in to see what else is trashed.

PS1.jpg

It depends on we're your located bud?
I use cv tech and iantomossi in Quebec and Ontario

It depends on we're your located bud?
I use cv tech and iantomossi in Quebec and Ontario
I'm from Indiana, US. I'm completely swamped with work, so I'm trying to get some ideas on what to do when my time opens up around Thanksgiving.

Top honors for best avatar there bud! Div20

OK...I made a call to Northern Crankshaft in MN. The gentleman I spoke with was very knowledgeable and up front. Worst case scenario; the crank needed ALL bearings replaced, it would be about $500 to rebuild. I think 19 years and 7,000 miles would dictate a complete bearing replacement IMO. The cylinders look good, but no doubt have some wear, so I think a .20 overbore would be in order as well.

Long story short...

Pistons + overbore + crank = $1,000

Personally, I don't think that's bad. The sled is same as mint condition for the age and you can't buy much of a sled for a grand these days. However, I have way too many sleds and I'm having a hard time justifying ten $100 bills for repair.

Is there anyone reading this that may be interested in the sled as parts? Hood looks new and the chassis / seat are nice. Let me know and I can post up pics of anything.

Mint condition or not, bad motor makes that complete sled a $200 dollar roller at most. Running you would do well to get near $1300. XLT's in all variations are easy and plentfull to come by in this area. Skids hoods etc are plentifull at the swaps meets we have around here. Blevidere and Pecatonica, Milwaukee. Not sure if there are any club swaps over by you? Look for a $500 motor to swap in and sell it if you can.

Back
Top Bottom