• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

After market mufflers

High-Tower

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2017 Polaris switchback assault 800
Hello guys! I no the topic has come up before but I can’t seem to find the old post. Does anyone have dyno test results from a variety of different aftermarket cans? The HP gains or losses while running with the stock pipes on the 17/18 SBA 800’s?

Theres no HP gains with an aftermarket muffler. Some have seemed to loose HP because of restriction flow worse than stock. Mufflers are more for a sound preference over stock, and weight savings.
SLP, Jaws or BMP are your best choices.
I run the Jaws Trail can on 17 SBA 800 and its a little loud at higher RPMs, but has a mean sound for sure.

Ok thanks outcast! Ya I had a ruff idea about this. My buddy running a ggb mountain and I have a MBRP trail. He would constantly walk away from me anyways we try to race hard or soft. Exact same sled 2” Paddles. I tried gearing it up to 1.95 ratio and my sled still is just just keeping up now. My buddy is 40 heavier then me yet too. Guess I got the lemon of the two :/ lol

Try your stock can. Those 2 Cans don’t have the best rep. The MBRPs are hit and miss from what I read.
What’s your sled revving for wide open RPMs when you are racing?
Should be 8300 max.

Ya I was thinking that too try the stock one back out and see. It’s about 8350 with the 1.95 ratio. And buddies is 8500 bouncing off the rev limiter with stock 2.11 stock ratio. Just read last night about motor mount issues. And my mag side definitely has wear after 1000 miles. I guess that another thing to try change and try too?

Ya these motor mounts have been causing guys grief. Grab the motor by the primary clutch and see if you can twist it very much, kinda like towards the right handle bar.
And do a visual inspection on the mounts see if they are becoming flat.

Ok I’ll try that! I no I could see daylight threw the mag side between the mounts and frame. Ya I’ll definitely be looking into that shortly. My sled was always running much hotter too 150 ish on hard pack trail compared to 130’s on my buddies.

Does anyone no the peak HP rpm for these 800’s running stock exhaust start to finish?

Does anyone no the peak HP rpm for these 800’s running stock exhaust start to finish?
8,250 to 8,300 falls off quickly above that.

FWIW and IMO Any aftermarket muffler with the oem pipe does little to nothing except some weight loss and more noise. Most loose hp.

Humm ok. I geared it up to 1.95 from stock (2.11) and it pulled it down some (primary shifting out fully so that’s ) Holds 8300-8350 odd 8400 on good hard pack. Think it would be worth a try to throw 68’s weights at it and see what it does? Or what you guys think?

Leave it alone if it’s holding 8300-8350.
You’re running a 120/310?
If so, you could go to a 120/320 and the 68s and that may stop the spike to 8400 and hold at 8300.
It’s all a game and you will always be chasing RPMs. Depends how fussy you want to get!

If you are going from stock 66's to 68's defiantly Doo it!

Leave it alone if it’s holding 8300-8350.
You’re running a 120/310?
If so, you could go to a 120/320 and the 68s and that may stop the spike to 8400 and hold at 8300.
It’s all a game and you will always be chasing RPMs. Depends how fussy you want to get!
Yes stocks primary spring. What color is the Polaris 120/320? And the 320 finish is that a little stiffer then stock or softer? I don’t no if it will pull 68’s and 1.95 gearing in the soft snow, but getting close year end everything getting hard, I think should pull it for rest of season?

I think your stock primary is a gold, 100-275? Actually Poo spring is 120-310. it used to be blue/white. Now many Poo springs are black with the rates written on them. I did say many, not all.

Theres no HP gains with an aftermarket muffler. Some have seemed to loose HP because of restriction flow worse than stock. Mufflers are more for a sound preference over stock, and weight savings.
SLP, Jaws or BMP are your best choices.
I run the Jaws Trail can on 17 SBA 800 and its a little loud at higher RPMs, but has a mean sound for sure.
Running Jaws trail also...louder it seems at idle low rpm but really tames down at higher rpm until the valves open.

Put the stock can back on before you go crazy and see what happens with temps and performance. Then leave stock can on and a new belt (if it's not) with proper belt deflection set. After some miles you will need to reset deflection. Or it Will be super loose.

Yup I did try that! Definitely better with the stock can and Polaris belt over ultimax. This was the first and only polaris sled (of 3) That was fussy towards ultimax. Usually didn’t matter one bit.

Back
Top Bottom