• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Assault fast trail set up

Brock

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
30+
Snowmobile
Polaris
Thought I'd make a new thread on assaults and dialing in the suspension for fast trail,to rail corners ,less ski lift, better track attack angle,etc. This is what we've done and man it's good now

OK, we got a group and 3 new assaults in them ,so it's good to compare. 2 of these guys came from the Doo camp.

We all have about 1500 miles know. Suspensions are well broken in. We all have different skis too. One has stock, I have C&A and another split rails.
This is were were at . We don't like the factory wheeling to the moon. It's fun but it don't corner worth the shit. On hole shots with our studs we lift so high it pulls to right or left. You pick,lol
We had enough of this as we like to rail corners riding and lift the skis a little . We have a great 2016 pro s switch that set up awesome, rails the corners and lifts skis .( spent lots of time dailing in suspension)
So, sleds all sitting in the shop, we started to measure differences from the new assault to pro s switch( one that rails and handles)Bunch of things stood out. Higher front end on assault vs pro s, attack angle of track,limiter strap, etc .

We're all studded well.

We pulled front limiter strap on all sleds so when rider is on it it was snug. Did this to all three assaults. Drilled extra holes one inch apart too(trail change). All limiter straps were the same length. It ended up being ,so the ends of limiter straps were over lapping 1/4-1/2" Fts was all at one inch(helps attack angle)
Ifs springs we could only get to 3 1/8"-3 3/16" without it chattering being loose(stock assault ifs springs) Still wasn't low enough. Sat an 1-1 1/4" higher then the pro s. So we toke pro s springs off and put on assault, had it's spring pressure as loose as it can be and bam, over 1/2-3/4" lower now.

All shocks were set low spring pressure and 3 clks on all. Attack angle was way better for speed now, and lower in the front.

We went out and tested our new set ups. Skis didn't lift to the moon on hard pack hole shots now and went straight. Talking corners better now too. But, we were spinning off the line a little now cuz we pulled limiter strap down to much. (Worth a try) good thing we bring tools with us,lol. We changed limiter straps so that both ends are about 7/8" apart from being over lapped and tried again.
Hole shots on hard pack lift skis about a foot and goes straight on every hole shot. We're loving it. Tried trail riding. It's awesome now, it rails the corners, comes out, hammer on it and still lifts the skis . Did this all day. Different trails to racing. Only tweaked the ifs springs now that there pro s springs. I have mine on 3", and frezty is about 3 1/8" ( different skis)

So, we lowered assaults by 3/4" at front. Pulled limiter, set fts at 1", rear at soft. All are clkrs are from 3-5 now, give or take.

So, to wrap this story up. Lower front ifs by using pro s springs, have limiter strap so there's one inch gap between two ends(studs only), fts at 1", rear torsion on soft.

Now are assaults railing the corners ,hole shots straight and still lifts the skis. It's working awesome for us .

Just sharing

IMAG1266.jpg
this is a pic of limiter strap were we have them now with studs. About 7/8"-1" apart at ends. And yes, all 3 straps were the same length.

Good write up.
My assault seems a little stiff, and it ski lifts like my old pro r.

I'll try some of your adjustments.

Smooth trail setup though? I tried a setup similar to this. Cornering is great, but I crash bottom the front arm all the time. I could revalve much stiffer but I suspect it would ride like a tank.

I found. For rough trail and decent cornering:

Limiter out full length, dual rate spring, nice sturdy longer than stock bottom out bumper, revalve to suit spring combo and weight.

Then run low preload on spring and let front arm sag.

Yes. Maybe give up some small % of cornering. But good balance between rough trail/bottom resistance and cornering.

Rally car philosophy.

Pulling the limiter is a great option if your trails have a higher level of average niceness. But giving up suspension travel, even if it's droop travel, will be less kind in rough riding.

I think rally car or woods ATV racing is a good setup philosophy for the bumpy people. Balance cornering and bump handling.

Attachments

• POlo-Ogier-Finlandia.jpg
    POlo-Ogier-Finlandia.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 579
I respectfully disagree on the fts and limiter strap being out stock.

The fts shock doesn't bottom out on the igx cuz of the arm angle and the way it's linked. Very noticeable vs older Polaris chassis.

The limiter strap being stock makes the igx suspension uncontrollable for hole shots. It's wheelies to much(race is already lost) and pulls unpredictably to left or right at such force you have to let off in some cases .

Opinions will vary , that's why we discuss Div20

I noticed the ski doo r motion had less tendency to crash through the front arm travel. The igx looks similarly designed.

Maybe results are better with igx over the rush axys skid.

But even with the r motion I still got the best rough trail ride handling balance with the strap loose, dual rate and correct valving.

Better cornering with the strap in, yes. But at the expense of bump performance. Trails get so trashy around hear, I'm willing to bias a bit toward the ride side.

Stupid question, but what does igx stand for. ??

I realize it's the skid design, but not sure what it is.

IMAG1306_1.jpg

Put a wider and longer flap on as the stock doesn't do anything for cooling. Our assaults are running to hot on hard pack trails (150-170).
Stratchers and this 2 inch wider and 7 inch longer flap should cure the heat blue's

Brock is that a PDP (proven design products) race flap?. I ran the xp trail model on my doo rs 860. I couldn't keep it cool on hard pack with the BB 860 with the rs coolers and the race flap. I like the bend in there trail flaps, they curve the snow back up to the cooler. Worked very well. I'm thinking of modding there doo rev xm flap to the back of my assault. I like the bend in the there doo flap better than there poo flap. lol

Brock is that a PDP (proven design products) race flap?. I ran the xp trail model on my doo rs 860. I couldn't keep it cool on hard pack with the BB 860 with the rs coolers and the race flap. I like the bend in there trail flaps, they curve the snow back up to the cooler. Worked very well. I'm thinking of modding there doo rev xm flap to the back of my assault. I like the bend in the there doo flap better than there poo flap. lol
Yep, proven designs.

I was gonna do the Doo flap too. But had to make to many things fit and tweak it and still wouldn't look.good.

This one lined right up with the 4 rivets holes . Just had to grind the little lip stock flap sat in and rivet on.

I think this is better and easier, and they have tons of designs and colors too

Sorry I'm new here, coming off of a skidoo xs.
FTS = front track shock?
What is IFS?
@Brock

Last edited:
I just purchased a 2018 assault snow check. I will pick up later this week. I've been on skidoos my whole life and this will be my first Polaris. I rode the pro s for a considerable amount last year and just loved the chassis. The assault just looked like a step above so I had to have it. Looking for shock setting and suspension recommendations. I have not heard good things about the Walker Evans shocks so I am looking forward to hearing what you guys are doing...

I just purchased a 2018 assault snow check. I will pick up later this week. I've been on skidoos my whole life and this will be my first Polaris. I rode the pro s for a considerable amount last year and just loved the chassis. The assault just looked like a step above so I had to have it. Looking for shock setting and suspension recommendations. I have not heard good things about the Walker Evans shocks so I am looking forward to hearing what you guys are doing...
Walker Evans are great shocks, there very stiff till broken in but after that there gtg .

Ask away as there’s a lot of new doo guys riding Polaris in this forum. I have 3 that ride with me that changed to Polaris and love it.

FTS ,yes, front track shock

IGX is Ideal Geometry xCrossover suspension

IFS is Independent Front Suspension

Walker Evans are great shocks, there very stiff till broken in but after that there gtg .

Ask away as there’s a lot of new doo guys riding Polaris in this forum. I have 3 that ride with me that changed to Polaris and love it.
IMO they could have valved the front track shock quite a bit softer cause if you read the owner's manual they say to set the clicker at 2. That doesn't leave much room for adjusting.

yeah they cheaped out the front track shock is exact same one that is on the pro s sleds

It seems that's the consensus, but I have no experience with Polaris or the WE shocks. Picking my sled up this week and will find out. But coming off of rmotion I will be very critical....

yeah they cheaped out the front track shock is exact same one that is on the pro s sleds
The fts on the assault and pro s are different valving as the assault is a little stiffer . The pro s bottomed a lot and the assault way better

The fts on the assault and pro s are different valving as the assault is a little stiffer . The pro s bottomed a lot and the assault way better
My findings exactly. In my 15 Pro S I changed the spring in the FTS. Hell of a lot better ride and hardly any bottoming.

Back
Top Bottom