• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Battery Exposed To Extreme Cold

RickBland

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2004 Two-Up Touring 700
Last year I moved to NW Wisconsin where winter temperatures can plummet to -20 or more. My concern is exposing the battery in the sled during brief storage periods during the winter. It would be in an unheated building when not being used, but can I leave it in the sled without concern for the battery freezing, or do I need to take out the battery from the sled each time and keep it indoors until I'm ready to ride again? I could hook it up to a trickle charger if needed, but I'm interested to know what those of you who sled in these extreme conditions do.

Thanks.

If it sits for more than a couple weeks in extreme cold you should put a battery "Tender" or automatic charger on it. The charger will stop charging and float when the battery is fully charged. Buy a tender that has a pig tail that bolts to your positive/negative posts on the battery. Pretty simple to just plug it in when your not using the sled. Your battery will never freeze if it has a charge.
021-0123.BatteryTender.01.FrontView.jpg

081-0069-6.Hyperion.01.jpg

Thanks, I appreciate your reply and help. Bought this yesterday after getting your message.

Back
Top Bottom