• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Bearing Service - Jackshaft & Drive Track

Rbell14

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2021 Indy VR1 850
2016 Rush Pro S 600
What's the best tool or method to prolong bearing life on both jackshaft and track drive? Seems OEM bearings are sealed and will fail, ok with using different bearings but what's everyone using for tips and tricks to keep them greased?

Hearing that the 22MY flange for jackshaft was redesigned to help prevent clutch side jackshaft failure... Both schematics for Babbits online show '21My and '22MY with save flange part number still. Heard new flange is part # 5144103 and will fit Axys back to 2018 as well.

If you can, I would wait and see what they did for the '23s. The only change to the '22 was they machined the aluminum so that the bearing has a more consistent fit/alignment vs relying on the raw casting to set the bearing.
Hearing from the Ambassadors that more change is coming for '23 from their call with the engineers, but they didn't give them any details what was done.

Good to know, thanks! I wish they had this fix ready to go. Starting to read about a lot of guys blowing jackshaft bearings once over 3k miles.

Any thoughts if this would be honored on a warranty claim?

Correct, 5144103 is the MY22 part number. Interestingly, it only shows up for the 22 sleds and has not superseded the older part number. I know people have used it in older models. The factory bearing is an NTN CS205LLU. The outer race is a spherical or insert style. I have not found a cross reference to any other manufacturer.

Any thoughts if this would be honored on a warranty claim?
I thought this was your 2016 sled? Doubt there's any warranty left on that?

Ah that makes sense, is it loose or just need to be repacked with greased?

3,600 miles on the VR1 and feeling a small vibration. Need to look into it further but if covered by warranty I'd want to get it done.

I doubt they will cover it unless there's an obvious sign of failure with the bearing itself, vibrations could be many different things.
Unless you pop the seal off and its completely dry of grease and the race is scored, I'd be surprised if its covered.
Talk to your dealer and see what he says, but he needs to prove it was failed to get Polaris to cover it.

Have two friends blow out his clutch side jackshaft bearing with 2,800 miles on them toward the end of this season.

Correct, 5144103 is the MY22 part number. Interestingly, it only shows up for the 22 sleds and has not superseded the older part number. I know people have used it in older models. The factory bearing is an NTN CS205LLU. The outer race is a spherical or insert style. I have not found a cross reference to any other manufacturer.

looking online, what does the 5144103 22MY part number reflect? Is that the flange for the jackshaft bearing? If so, It has a different part number online.

If we call the dealer will they have the new part number in the system for 22MY upgrade (5144103) ?

After lengthy discussion with dealer and Polaris Engineering I want to clarify what the upgrade is on '22MY .

Within the Chassis BulkHead Assy schematic you will find item #10 which is the Mount Jackshaft Bearing mach (i.e inner plate that bearing rides on) For '21MY the part # is 5139244 but for '22MY the part number is 5144103, which was upgraded!

Within the drivetrain, jackshaft and drivetrain schematic there is item # 2 which is the jackshaft bearing flange (i.e outer portion of the bulkhead that the bearing rides on. For this item the parts numbers are both the same for '21MY and '22MY (part number 5264595).

I was confused - hope this makes it clearer for all.

'21MY schematic. = https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemp...661ed47870e7/chassis-bulkhead-asm-all-options

'22MY schematic = https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemp...46273cd6538d/chassis-bulkhead-asm-all-options

Last edited:
Yep, and as I stated earlier the only change to that part is they now machine the aluminum surface that seats the bearing.

I'd still wait and see what change they are making for '23. The parts diagrams usually start popping up on Polaris website in September, updated as the specific machines start rolling down the assembly line.

looking online, what does the 5144103 22MY part number reflect? Is that the flange for the jackshaft bearing? If so, It has a different part number online.
5144103 is the new machined mount for the jack shaft bearing. The flange is 5264595 and I believe that is the same for 2019+

I have heard that getting the proper clutch alignment and free play, or float on the driven clutch is another important factor for the bearing life. I believe the factory float specs say 0.010"-0.050", but discussions on other forums are saying it should be 0.090"-0.110". Apparently side loads on the bearing as the clutches shift out may be causing the failures.

I have heard that getting the proper clutch alignment and free play, or float on the driven clutch is another important factor for the bearing life. I believe the factory float specs say 0.010"-0.050", but discussions on other forums are saying it should be 0.090"-0.110". Apparently side loads on the bearing as the clutches shift out may be causing the failures.
Interesting and makes sense. Is the revised float specs being discussed from Polaris?

Back
Top Bottom