• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Clutch kit, who claims theirs is best?

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2016 switchback pro s 800
Ive been told $200 with just doing spring and weights.
Another price was $500, that's everything from weights , springs, gears, chain etc.
I'm not sure what to use or who's kit to use.

Well the kits are all over the place.
I had SSI. The weights were junk and wear out very fast because of the soft metal they are made from. BMP weights are not aggressive enough and there are like 3 versions that don't work good. I think they are making a new kind. Some kits like northstar come with polaris weights 10 series like stock are. Not really aggressive enough if thats what your going for. That and they will not even tell you what spec springs and so on you are buying.

There is a well known and proven setup that is on this forum if you do a search. You don't have to buy a clutch "kit" Just buy the parts and cut out the middle man.

Northstar Ricks shop is up the street from my house and I have his helix in my 17 switchback assault. Its night and day difference from stock setup. all springs are marked and they are available from team , no secrets there. the helix is a straight cut not a progressive cut thats all i can tell you. Its a good all around setup. i don't lose any rpms when im in the mountains and it holds 8400-8450 rpms all day long!!

As cory states.....do a search on this site and pencil in some time to do some reading. They're some fantastic info on here from some insightful folks....doc, brock and some others. True tuners and real trail running guys.

I was in the same boat as you at one point. Did some research, spent some money, tested, ended up wasting money, back to the drawing board.

I'm dialed in now with the help of certain peeps on this site. The info is out there. It works hands down!

I will give my insight on clutch kits.

There is no kit that does everything. Never was and never will be .
Now I'm talking about temp change, air density, different elevations on the same day( 500' asl to 3000' asl ) is a huge factor and will make any kit suck the big one. Snow changes from groomed to deep, to ice o slush.
Way to many factors working against a kit you buy

Best thing I can suggest is a profile weight that meets you're needs and is adjustable. This is key

I will give my insight on clutch kits.

There is no kit that does everything. Never was and never will be .
Now I'm talking about temp change, air density, different elevations on the same day( 500' asl to 3000' asl ) is a huge factor and will make any kit suck the big one. Snow changes from groomed to deep, to ice o slush.
Way to many factors working against a kit you buy

Best thing I can suggest is a profile weight that meets you're needs and is adjustable. This is key

I can understand that there is no true blue kit do all, but looking at best bang for the buck. I go about 285 lbs with gear. I just bought a 165 rear spring from hygear to help with that, also having shocks revalved. I have a ripsaw 125, ideas for studs and pattern? So many options there as well lol.

Cans make a big difference,mostly hurting power,I personally am not a fan.Thats completely up to you. Best thing you can do is drop the gearing to help move the sled. If your not much for speed you can gear lower like 21-38 that way you can use your stock chain, while your in there you might as well put an IQR roller tensioner in too. full helix 48-44 on one side and 46-42 on the other ramp. great all round cam. Start of with a new stock spring first in the secondary. 120-300 or 310 primary spring with stock weight first. Always start the season of with new springs..

Anyone have experience with the trail kit from Indy Dan? I like the fact both clutches are balanced. That certainly has to have a positive effect on the rest of the sled. And other than popping the clutches off and on, all the work is done for you as (near as I can tell).

Balancing clutches is a key thing for sure

Cans make a big difference,mostly hurting power,I personally am not a fan.Thats completely up to you. Best thing you can do is drop the gearing to help move the sled. If your not much for speed you can gear lower like 21-38 that way you can use your stock chain, while your in there you might as well put an IQR roller tensioner in too. full helix 48-44 on one side and 46-42 on the other ramp. great all round cam. Start of with a new stock spring first in the secondary. 120-300 or 310 primary spring with stock weight first. Always start the season of with new springs..

Hey guys, just tuned in today and starting to think about snow, tuning and riding.
Still love my '15 with alot of help from Brock it is dailed in and right there with all the big money sleds.
However, like most on here I'm always looking for more speed and comfort so.
Can you share a part number for the AIR roller? Sending my track shocks out for valving this year. Also, considering changing to the cobra 1.3 track as it seems to hook up better in the loose trail conditions that we ride in mostly. Worth the trouble and cash to make the change? The rip 2 does awesome on hero snow/trails but honestly thats maybe 10-15% of my riding, lol...

There is so much more to it then an off the shelf kit. Air density, elevation, traction, suspension set up,gear ratio, proper working clutches, snow conditions ,etc......

No one kit can do that as you may have to change things throughout the day. I know I do and many others do

Advice on what to do of everything I mentioned above will help for a performer.

Hey guys, just tuned in today and starting to think about snow, tuning and riding.
Still love my '15 with alot of help from Brock it is dailed in and right there with all the big money sleds.
However, like most on here I'm always looking for more speed and comfort so.
Can you share a part number for the AIR roller? Sending my track shocks out for valving this year. Also, considering changing to the cobra 1.3 track as it seems to hook up better in the loose trail conditions that we ride in mostly. Worth the trouble and cash to make the change? The rip 2 does awesome on hero snow/trails but honestly thats maybe 10-15% of my riding, lol...
If your going to buy a track and for the type of riding you do I would recommend the Camso Storm 150

IMG_2711.PNG

# 4

You can get that IQR tensioner from any Polaris dealer. I bought them from Babbitts. $45.19 there this morning. Ronnies mail order, $50.84 there as of this morning. Free shipping if you spend over $99 at Ronnies.

Back
Top Bottom