• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Does a studded track provide enough "snow" to lubricate track slides on bare ice?

desmobob

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2006 Polaris 550 Classic
On an air-cooled sled, is it OK to run on bare ice with a studded track?

Sure but you will still need snow or ice chips to allow the slide to cool and not stick.

I realize it needs snow or ice chips, that's why in my subject line, I asked if the studded track will provide enough "snow" to lubricate the Hyfax... do the studs throw up enough stuff?

Last edited:
I realize it needs snow or ice chips, that's why in my subject line, I asked if the studded track will provide enough "snow" to lubricate the Hyfax... do the studs throw up enough stuff?

I have raced plenty on bare ice and it will not.

On an air-cooled sled, is it OK to run on bare ice with a studded track?
Throw on a pair of ice scratchers and you will be fine. Hyfax needs the lube. Used to do grass drags and utilized a foot operated pump to squirt windshield washer fluid onto the hyfax. Some guys just used gravity feed.

Thanks for the info. I guess I won't have to worry about it for a while... we got 11" of snow last night. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom