• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Exhaust Valve Cleanup

ProX00

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
Switchback ProX
How do I go about cleaning the exhaust valves on the 2016 800 motor? Are they easy to get to? Is there a good write up on this process anywhere?

Pull the whole assemble and cable and actuator.

Unhook wire off actuator assemble,
remove bolts from actuator need wrench on the inside it's a pain.

Remove all the Allen cap bolts from the valves in the engine block. Turn the skis to allow better angle on screws to avoid stripping them

Pull valves carefully don't damage the o rings, the valves have springs that hold the two piece guillotines together.

Pop guillotines apart and clean everything up and reassemble.

Anyone else can chim in with their method.

Is it necessary to remove the actuator? Can I simply unbolt the cable from the engine block itself(first picture) or do I need to remove cable from actuator(second Picture)? Its just the 6 bolts, right?

Attachments

• 20170301_190719_LI.jpg
    20170301_190719_LI.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,998
  • 20170301_190759_LI.jpg
    20170301_190759_LI.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,763
  • 20170301_190707_LI.jpg
    20170301_190707_LI.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 3,059
OK, I guess i'll just remove the bolts and find out myself. they look like the correct ones but thought I would get someone who has actually done it to verify it first.

Just remove cable from actuator , then the valves from the motor don't touch the valve travel

I clean my valves in my sled . I pull pipe and steering post bolts.
Put a bucket in front belly pan. Pull valves out of motor and stick in bucket of cleaner . Let it sit to clean . Scrub were nessessary , wipe clean and put back in .
Not the way for everyone, just the way I do it

So you are simply removing the 6 bolts and pulling the valves and dropping in the bucket?

I use a carb cleaner solvent.

Yes , removing the valves dropping in bucket in belly pan , let it sit 24 hours. , scrub as needed with purple scotch brite and a razor scraper . Wipe clean, blow off with air and re install .

Yup, that stuff cleans great. It stinks to high heaven, but stuff comes out looking like new.

This method allows you to clean them without disassembling or cable removal, is what I assume you're getting at. ?

I just rolled 550 miles on mine this weekend, got past the 18hr extra oil, so I'll be cleaning them this week.

I kinda find it funny that the lifetime Polaris guys are somewhat baffled by the electronic valves.

I came from the old Yamaha sleds, (SRX, viper) which had electronic cable driven PV's. So I'm fairly familiar.

Although those are individual cylinder and valves. The one piece is different.

On the Yamaha, they made a plug to connect to the servo motor, apply 12 volts and that was full pull on the servo.
Then you could adjust the valves via cable.

I prefer to pull the exhaust manifolds, reach in and feel the valve.

Adjust cable so valve bevel is flush with port.

That's perfect adjustment.

Too loose and valves hang in Port, too tight and 2 things happen.

Valve is too far in Port, creating a pocket that could cause turbulence, and if the valve tops out in the travel, it will eventually break the cable, or , on that Yamaha valve, it would pull the cable end out of the valve tip, therefore destroy the valve.

Also happens when valves are dirty and get stuck in the cylinder.

I'm assuming a person has to remove steering post bolts otherwise there isn't enough clearance to remove the power valve assembly?

I clean my valves in my sled . I pull pipe and steering post bolts.
Put a bucket in front belly pan. Pull valves out of motor and stick in bucket of cleaner . Let it sit to clean . Scrub were nessessary , wipe clean and put back in .
Not the way for everyone, just the way I do it

I removed the power valve assembly from my 2015 SB Saturday, I left the pipe on and everything, just removed the 6 bolts holding the assembly then pulled it out - came out pretty easily. I didn't disconnect any cables or anything.

I used oven cleaner and some carb cleaner, then a sharp blade and green scotchbrite pad to clean them up.

Pictures are prior to cleaning....

Attachments

• Valves 1.JPG
    Valves 1.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 2,259
  • Valves 2.JPG
    Valves 2.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 4,097
  • Valves 3.JPG
    Valves 3.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 3,155
This keeps from having to have the valves relearned?
If you remove valve assembly from motor and valve cable from actuator without touching cable travel , then you don't need a relearn from dw

For you guys running VES GOLD, how are the valves looking at 500+ miles? I have 800 miles on mine now and will be cleaning them when I get home from work in a couple weeks.

is it ok to use a Dremel with a small brass brush to clean the carbon deposits from the valve? Seems like it would be less work and safer than a scraper as well as getting it very clean.

Back
Top Bottom