• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

First Sled!

Mwis

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1995 polaris indy trail
Hi All,
Totally new to sledding, so bear with me. I was given a 95 Indy Trail...1100+ miles, seems to be great shape except for the skis are worn out. I know I need new plastic covers(skins?)...and there is absolutely nothing left of the wear bars( skegs...or skeg plates?) . The plastic is easy, just pic a color and order them. But what about the bars? It seems like I can spend anywhere from 10$ a piece up to a $100 or more. What do I NEED? I will be mainly on groomed trails I think....some road crossings. I doubt I will be jumping stuff or playing in powder, but who knows! Any help,advice, or personal experience will be a great help! Thanks in advance, Matt.

The plastic “bars” are called hyfax. Tons of vids on YouTube. If they aren’t worn through, it is a $20-30ish fix. Dealer will have them. Probs may be corroded retaining screw, difficulty breaking loose, or worse, worn through and you need new rails. Be patient, be resourceful. 90’s Polaris sleds are great, easy to work on, and there is an abundance of them both whole and for parts. Welcome to the club!

Thanks Shaun, I'll have to check youtube. The plastic parts I meant were what covered the entire ski.(not sure if that is what you referred to as hyfax) I pulled one of the skis off and most of the center part of the plastic cover is ground off. There was only the remnants of 3 studs that looking at parts diagrams look like they were at one time welded to what i called wear bars. Thanks for the help! Edit: Just watched youtube vid on hyfax...now i know that had to do with the track not the skis!

Thanks Shaun, I'll have to check youtube. The plastic parts I meant were what covered the entire ski.(not sure if that is what you referred to as hyfax) I pulled one of the skis off and most of the center part of the plastic cover is ground off. There was only the remnants of 3 studs that looking at parts diagrams look like they were at one time welded to what i called wear bars. Thanks for the help! Edit: Just watched youtube vid on hyfax...now i know that had to do with the track not the skis!

My bad, I mis-read your original post. Yes, what you were referring to are wear bars. The price difference is from a standard non-carbide to 4, 6, 8” etc carbide wear bars (aka skags). Just keep you-tubing and you will learn fast. Might check those hyfaxes though, if your skags are that beat with such low miles.

Back
Top Bottom