• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Gear recommendation for stock 12 sb 800 pro r

Dat'Speed

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
5 years, and 9 years on a bike, with 5 seasons of racing.
Snowmobile
12 Switchback 800 Pro R, 17 Switchback 800 Pro X
Was hoping someone could give me a reliable tried n true, fast gear ratio for the pro r switch. I just got it for my dad and want to gear it slightly lower to wake it up a bit. But I dont want to do any clutching so only looking to gear down to 1:68 - 1:75 ballpark. Which would be the wiser choice, all things considered ,and what gears will I need?
Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

42/24 with a 74 link chain 1.75 ratio put 10,000 miles worked great and this will make it easier to clutch

Last edited:
Stock is 22/36 with a 70 pitch chain. You could keep the stock chain and go 21/37 for a 1.76 ratio. This will give noticeably more bottom and midrange grunt.

This saves you from buying a new chain.

In 2015 I purchased a used ($23) 37 tooth sprocket & a used ($20) 21 tooth sprocket from ebay, both looked like new, 1/2 the cost of new Polaris sprockets...
Plus as OutCast stated you can use the standard 70 P chain...

My new lower gearing 37/21 & 70 P chain = 1.76 ratio, spot on gearing for trail riding & lake racing.
With this lower gearing my light mod 2014 800 Pro R Rush with Bikeman pipe & air box self & VF3R reeds & FC Power Commander with my very lean fuel program & my clutching with (strong springs & 73.5 gram weights) & etc, easily smoked 3 different stock 800 AXIS sleds to 110+ MPH, as a mod sled should...
The original 36/22 & 70 P chain = 1.63 ratio, too high of gearing, just like Brock & the other top tuners have stated many times..

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all the advice guys, this is perfect.
Mad respects everyone.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

1.74 is the choice for most conditions.

Get your clutching and gearing in order and it's a different sled.

I rode with 2011 cat 800, 2015 etec doo-dle 800 and a 15 axys 800. My axys made them feel like 600s from 0-80.

Gear
Clutch
Alignment
Make sure exhaust is sealed

Back
Top Bottom