• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Help with carburetors...new member

Polaris_Runner

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1996 Polaris Indy Trail Touring
Hello! New to the group. If I posted in the wrong spot, my apologies.
I bought a 1996 Indy Trail Touring 500 (488) last year. After a lot of work, this is my first winter riding it.
Question is about the twin Mikuni VM carbs. Runs good in below freezing temperatures. There is a hesitation at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Doesn’t feel like a bog, it just hesitates before taking off. I had it out the other day when temperatures were just above freezing and it wouldn’t move under its own power. Definitely just bogged, rpm’s slowed down but never stalled. I pulled the plugs and they look slightly black not beige or brown. I pulled the tops off the carbs and the needles are 6DH7 with the ‘E’ clip set at the top position. I’m thinking the motor is running rich and the last owner tried to compensate by moving the ‘E’ clip up. What are your thoughts?

Should I buy the next needles down and try again? Or am I going in the wrong direction with this.

Thanks in advance!

Hello! New to the group. If I posted in the wrong spot, my apologies.
I bought a 1996 Indy Trail Touring 500 (488) last year. After a lot of work, this is my first winter riding it.
Question is about the twin Mikuni VM carbs. Runs good in below freezing temperatures. There is a hesitation at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Doesn’t feel like a bog, it just hesitates before taking off. I had it out the other day when temperatures were just above freezing and it wouldn’t move under its own power. Definitely just bogged, rpm’s slowed down but never stalled. I pulled the plugs and they look slightly black not beige or brown. I pulled the tops off the carbs and the needles are 6DH7 with the ‘E’ clip set at the top position. I’m thinking the motor is running rich and the last owner tried to compensate by moving the ‘E’ clip up. What are your thoughts?

Should I buy the next needles down and try again? Or am I going in the wrong direction with this.

Thanks in advance!
No carburetor gurus out there?

First you should verify that all the parts in the carb are the right parts. If they are the right parts it should run (and move) even at summertime temps.

So you either have the wrong parts or; chokes need adjusting, sync is way off, needle & seat is leaking or maybe a leaking fuel pump thru the impulse line.

First you should verify that all the parts in the carb are the right parts. If they are the right parts it should run (and move) even at summertime temps.

So you either have the wrong parts or; chokes need adjusting, sync is way off, needle & seat is leaking or maybe a leaking fuel pump thru the impulse line.
Ok thanks! I’ll pull it apart and check those items.

Back
Top Bottom