• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Hot Muffler

Dr. FeeLGooD

Wifeys 2011 600 Switchback has about 8000 miles on it. (Grandma Driven) The Sled is basically been trail ridden 40 to 60 miles an hour all its life, with occasional wot across the lakes if conditions are excellent for Grandma. I was getting it ready for this winter changing chaincase oil etc and noticed the side panel has been melted a little from the heat of the muffler. I took the exhaust off to see there is nothing bent, loose, rattly or damages of any kind. Is this muffler wore out? What are the other possibilities? Last year the compression checked out. Nothing has ever been touched on this sled other than bearings in the skid and spark plugs and such. Regular gas almost exclusively. She is pretty good at watching temp gauge but who knows for sure how hot she got it? It has never quit on her.

Last edited:
I was telling a buddy about the excessive heat and he asked if I ever cleaned the powervalves. A few days later I took one powervalve assembly off and apart. Big carboned up mess with a broken spring in it. Bellow is tired. I have those parts ordered for both cylinders. I hope to clean it all up this weekend and wait for the parts. How hard can I turn on the nut to take the bellow off the valve without bending the valve or something? What are the tricks for that?

Back
Top Bottom