• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Idle issues.

PaSledManiac

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
One year
Snowmobile
2002 Polaris 550 Classic
So I have a 2002 Polaris 550 Classic. I am having idle issues that began after I got the sled going after being in storage. I used Seafoam in the cylinders, carbs when storing and added fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank and ran the sled when I put it into storage. I did not have any idle issues when it was put away. I did notice that when I was trying to get it started recently it cranked over but would not start. I put a small amount of fuel into the cylinders and it did start but ran for only a few seconds until the fuel ran out. I then was able to pour a little bit of gas into the carbs and it finally began to run. After I got it running it would not idle, I thought maybe I just needed to get some newer fuel into the tank and get it out and run it hard to clean everything out. After getting some more snow and being able to take it out to get it heated up and run hard, it still will not idle. Can the idle be adjusted to help this or is there something else that needs to be done? I put a pic in for a reference to see if the screws with the arrows are the idle screws. Sorry so long.
Thanks

Attachments

• carbs.jpg
    carbs.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 353
Sounds like you need a good carb cleaning. I would say your pilots are plugged..

I already cleaned the carbs, I took them off and pulled everything to make sure that passages were clean. I finally got it to idle some on its own. It is on the lower end but it will idle now, when I go to get into the gas it does bog down a little. I think the fuel/air mixture needs done but I am a novice when it comes to that and I do not have a repair manual yet. I am trying to find one that isn't too expensive. I just increased the idle screws about a half a turn or so and it will idle now but wouldn't before that. I put fresh ethanol free fuel in and added some fuel additive from Amsoil to help keep the system clean.

Back
Top Bottom