• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

iq touring 700 shredding belts and losing coolant

Wesley12326

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2006 Polaris Iq touring 700 EFI
This is my first sled and it has been giving me trouble since i bought it. When i first got it the drive clutch was sticking so i replaced it with the exact clutch except this one doesn't have the big gear on the back that runs the electric start. No big deal i can pull start it. The problem is that I have put about 300 miles on it and i have replaced the belt 3 times. Is this do to the clutches being missaligned from not having the electric start "gear" on the back? Do i just need to space the clutch out 1/4 inch from the motor? My other questing is related to the coolant. I Topped it off on Friday and rode about 180 miles and the coolant is now about 2 inches low. It never overheated or anything. I am just concerned that it may being getting into th motor somehow. I bough the sled with about 860 miles and it only has 1104 now so i don't understand why Im having these issues. Thanks for any help!
-Wesley

I remember when i put a starter kit on my wife's sled i had to put a extra washer behind driven clutch to get alignment right it came in the kit. Because the clutch with the ring gear set out a little farther. You might be able to take out one washer behind driven clutch but if you know someone with clutch alignment tool would help.

I didn’t even think about moving the driven clutch. Should the sheath closed to the motor on both clutches be straight to each other with the sled off? Meaning the belt would be sitting perfectly parallel to the length of the sled?

Belt wear issues........

IS your idle a bit high, creeping sled?

Are you riding trails or blazing your own in a cornfield... Getting stuck often? Just getting stuck good once can kill alot of a belt's life. Folks rock the sled before inital movement, so the skis aren't frozen to the ground... Using ice scratcher can cause stuff inside the track's rollers to get stuck too. Going off trail with a sled not well suited for it will cause a belt to die quickly..... I have t blaze a 100 yard loop from the trail to my cubs hunting cabin in maybe 1 to 2 feet of snow. I had to do it with a 1" track 2010 IQ tour. I put maybe 700 miles on that and easily go 20 miles without pulling to the side of the trail... Between trailering / iced up track from scratchers / and maybe getting good and stuck 3 or 4 times, I need a belt.... Shoveling out a small starting spot for maybe 10 feet or so helps alot with that far pig with small hooves.

There is 3 critical alignments... Obviously pulleys need to be inline. But, do you have motor mount problems causing your issue? Also, shimming of the clutch.

Do you have a track in good order. All rollers / idlers good? Track isn't too tight.

There are several different belts for the IQ chassis FYI. I know there's a difference between my 2007 switchback and 2010 IQ tour, both with 600 cfi...

Coolant issues. Get some 3/8 hose and a longer 3/8 with a smooth shank, not just threads to to bolt head, and get a tire stem. Pull the hose small hose going from the throttle bodies to the overflow tank. Block off the hose with the 3/8" bolt and a clamp. Then use some of the hose and connect to the tank. Cut a valve stem down so you can put it in the hose. Add a bit of air slowly. Remove the park plugs, let it sit overnight with maybe 10 psi on it. The radiator cap should keep it below it's rating. Could be 21 to 13 psi or so.... Cleaning the radiator cap rubber face may help you keep air in it. Next morning look everywhere for leaks. A good number of IQ sleds have little radiators up front. Turn the motor over and see if you see coolant. 2 stroke sleds get alot of vibration. My 07 switchback actualled rubbed the throttle body to overflow tank line cause a slow leak.

Back
Top Bottom