• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Issue with my 97 Ultra SP

PolarisWedgeFan

I ran into a problem over the weekend with my 97 Ultra SP. The machine was an absolute barn find with under 600 miles on it when I picked it up 3 years ago. I'm new into the sport but I got up to the mountains and put over a hundred miles on it the last 2 years and it ran terrific. Over the weekend I got it into some of the deep powder and got it somewhat stuck. When I gunned it to get it out I could smell burnt rubber. I got it out and into my driveway and let it sit for several hours. When I fired it up later on it ran perfect and idled right down to 1800 or so RPM's but when I went to take off I could tell it wasn't responding the way it should and it was smoking and smelling like burnt rubber again so I shut it down. I tried to start it up this morning and now it doesn't want to start and when it does it won't idle. I did see some shavings off the drive belt when I looked in there but I think something else is going on. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look at? Could my clutch have gotten stuck or something like that ? Would that now effect starting and idling?

Is there a ton of melted rubber on the primary clutch faces? Try cleaning the clutch faces and slap a new belt on it. Sometimes a really messy clutch will drag on the belt, and idle will suffer. Your clutch may be stuck. You might try blowing the clutch out with an air nozzle. Cover the rest of the underhood items, because belt bits will go everywhere. It will be obvious if it is when you try to install a new belt. Let us know how you make out. Welcome to PSP!

Is there a ton of melted rubber on the primary clutch faces? Try cleaning the clutch faces and slap a new belt on it. Sometimes a really messy clutch will drag on the belt, and idle will suffer. Your clutch may be stuck. It will be obvious if it is when you try to install a new belt. Let us know how you make out. Welcome to PSP!
There isn't a ton, just some shavings. I'm going to pull the belt and take a closer look tonight and see what a new belt does for me. I appreciate the advice and will let you know what I find.

Is there a ton of melted rubber on the primary clutch faces? Try cleaning the clutch faces and slap a new belt on it. Sometimes a really messy clutch will drag on the belt, and idle will suffer. Your clutch may be stuck. You might try blowing the clutch out with an air nozzle. Cover the rest of the underhood items, because belt bits will go everywhere. It will be obvious if it is when you try to install a new belt. Let us know how you make out. Welcome to PSP!
minirips2 - Thanks for the feedback again, much appreciated. I pulled the belt off last night and blew out the clutches as you suggested. The belt itself had a few frays on the outer edge but nothing real bad. I started the sled without the belt on and it fired right up and idled down nicely so I shut it off and put the spare belt on. I raised the tail end up off the ground and started it back up again and throttled it up to engage the clutch and spin the track which was successful as well.....however when I let off the throttle the track continued spinning so I hit the brake which promptly shut down the engine. I'm guessing I have a clutch issue of some sort ??

As long as you have the correct belt for the sled (width and length) then the first thing to check is belt to sheave clearance . If you have clearance then its a deflection issue. The belt may be too tight and dragging on the clutch. A simple adjustment on the secondary fixes this.
I've never adjusted the secondary before, what is the trick to doing that?

Back
Top Bottom