• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Need advice on which model to buy

Tmilless

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
Looking to buy
Apologize if this is in the wrong category. If so could someone point me in the right direction.
Looking at buying an older (96-2000 ish) snowmobile. Looking at those years and sleds mainly for money purposes. I’m only going to ride up at the cabin on weekends. Just cruising the lakes and trailers for a couple hours on sat/sunday, etc. Won’t be putting on a ton of miles.

Question is. I’d like something in the 500cc range, have been looking at a couple of 500xc’s and what looks to be like a perfectly maintained 97 440xc. I’m looking for something with a little more giddy up than the old 440 super sport I rode back in the day. But wont be riding it like I’m 22 and racing all the time still. Anyone have any recommendations on a great overall model/year. I’ve heard the XLT’s (and triples in general) are a little less reliable and as I don’t know how to work on motors I’d like to stay away from that.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Apologize if this is in the wrong category. If so could someone point me in the right direction.
Looking at buying an older (96-2000 ish) snowmobile. Looking at those years and sleds mainly for money purposes. I’m only going to ride up at the cabin on weekends. Just cruising the lakes and trailers for a couple hours on sat/sunday, etc. Won’t be putting on a ton of miles.

Question is. I’d like something in the 500cc range, have been looking at a couple of 500xc’s and what looks to be like a perfectly maintained 97 440xc. I’m looking for something with a little more giddy up than the old 440 super sport I rode back in the day. But wont be riding it like I’m 22 and racing all the time still. Anyone have any recommendations on a great overall model/year. I’ve heard the XLT’s (and triples in general) are a little less reliable and as I don’t know how to work on motors I’d like to stay away from that.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

The 700 XC was a great sled or even a Indy 500 of that area are pretty bullet proof and make good power.

Thanks for the reply. Wasn’t thinking too much about a 700 for a couple reasons, 1, I assume I’d pay a little more for it, 2 would be possibly a bit heavier and more power than I’d need? I’m going to be riding about 100 miles a year around the trails and on lakes in the Brainerd, Mn area.
I heard the 500xc got the liberty engine vs the Fuji in Indy 500 and that the liberty has a little more zip. Is this correct?

Thanks for the reply. Wasn’t thinking too much about a 700 for a couple reasons, 1, I assume I’d pay a little more for it, 2 would be possibly a bit heavier and more power than I’d need? I’m going to be riding about 100 miles a year around the trails and on lakes in the Brainerd, Mn area.
I heard the 500xc got the liberty engine vs the Fuji in Indy 500 and that the liberty has a little more zip. Is this correct?

The liberty engine by far better then the Fuji!

Should be able to find a XC500SP on the edge chassis (early to mid 2000's) in the $1,000-$1,500 range. Good solid sled, not a bad ride.

Back
Top Bottom