• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

P85 primary clutch button fitment

Jake

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2002 Polaris XC 800 SP
Currently rebuilding the primary on my '02 xc800sp with the p85. The guide buttons that came in my primary rebuild kit are too big (.250") They are fully seated in the spider with no shims and still stick out about 1/8" too far and don't clear the towers. I've called multiple polaris dealers in the area, and they say that is the correct size guide button for that clutch. Has anyone else had this issue? Can you sand down the buttons with a fine grit just enough to slide the spider back on? Can't find anything online about people having this issue so I'm either the first in the history of snowmobiles, or I'm doing something obviously wrong that I'll kick myself for when I get an answer. Thanks in advance!

You can thin the buttons to fit but you should do it with a mill. Pretty hard to keep them square doing it by hand and they all need to be the same thickness.

You can thin the buttons to fit but you should do it with a mill. Pretty hard to keep them square doing it by hand and they all need to be the same thickness.
Ended up sanding down the buttons on a flat surface with emory cloth, then finishing with 400 and 600 grit. Found out the OEM button width for that clutch is .182" so I sanded until they fit in a 3/16" wrench (.1875") then took off a hair more to get close. Installed all 6 buttons on the spider and it slid back on nice with just a hair of play. (Polaris recommends 0"-.002" of clearance) will update when back on the machine and see how it runs.

Back
Top Bottom