• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Ring gear failure.

I just read that and came over here to see if anyone had that problem here. I guess I will get out a small flashlight and my inspection mirror. Cross my fingers.

Just looked mine over, with a mirror n flashlight can see gear itself has no visible cracks or damage and bolts look to be ok. Can not however get a tool in there properly to be 100% sure bolts are tight. Gonna get a puller tomorrow n remove the clutch to be sure they are secure.
Sure it's under warranty but why miss riding time or even worse, get hurt if it should fail.

Happen to my brother last week
2015 has just over 4000 did a fair amount of damage
Will be replying loctite on mine, we thought this was a "one of" at first

Based on replies here n HCS, seems to be all three years.

Is the failure always the same?

Do loose bolts start the failure process?

Or does the ring gear crack, then bolts loose? Or is the whole thing started by the bendix sticking?

There lies the problem, until someone either catches one with loose bolts and ring gear ok or a cracked ring gear and tight bolts, we won't know.
Pulling mine soon as I get a puller to check bolts.
I would suspect if the drive had stuck operator would not have continued riding until it failed. It is however possible that the drive sometimes contacts the gear via vibration when running and could have damaged it.
Again, until we have more pics showing both sides of the ring gear, we won't know for sure.
Vibration and contact between ring gear and starter drive was an Arctic Cat electric start problem. In spite of doing it off and on for some time on my own, never did anything worse than marking the back of the ring gear. At upper mid range RPM sounded very much like engine deto, only figured it out when I removed n rode without starter drive in place (2011 800HO).

This is my first sled with e start. I did clutching, gearing and pipe sealing this weekend.

It bothered my simple monkey brain to re install all those "heavy" e-start components. I almost pulled everything off. But since all the cool kids are doin' it, I kept the e start.

Now talk of catastrophic failure has me re thinking.

I hope these are just isolated incidents. But going over my sled didn't inspire confidence. My machine was not put together very well, in my opinion.

-Clutch alignment was off
-track alignment was off by a quarter inch
-wires were rubbing in bad spots
secondary clutch was filthy inside due to paint flaking off the spring and contaminating everything.
-Front track shock only had 3 clicks of adjustment because of assembly error
-exhaust was leaking at muffler and y pipe
-91mph too speed in good conditions
-Oil dripping from clutch guard on to clutches (dealer fault I assume)

So is the ring gear going to explode too?

You'd be even more po'd if you removed it and had the recoil fail, dammed if you do n dammed if you don't kinda deal.

secondary clutch was filthy inside due to paint flaking off the spring and contaminating everything.

Bulk of what I'm seeing there is poor PDI, same nonsense with my own sled but add in throttle block loose because the locater screw was stripped and no handlebar heater on the right side.
Your lack of top speed is not typical, oil on the clutches, overfilled or spilled when topping off oil bottle.
All in all, still a great sled but no certainly not as perfect as it should be. Comes down to either get n stay pissed at it or deal with the tweaks n be happy.

You'd be even more po'd if you removed it and had the recoil fail, dammed if you do n dammed if you don't kinda deal.

Recoil fails you rope start from the primary clutch.

Ring gear grenades you walk, get towed, sled spends 3 weeks at the dealer in the prime of an already sketchy winter, you prep a glass of wiskey and contemplate things.

I'll take my chances with the recoil. :)

Bulk of what I'm seeing there is poor PDI, same nonsense with my own sled but add in throttle block loose because the locater screw was stripped and no handlebar heater on the right side.
Your lack of top speed is not typical, oil on the clutches, overfilled or spilled when topping off oil bottle.
All in all, still a great sled but no certainly not as perfect as it should be. Comes down to either get n stay pissed at it or deal with the tweaks n be happy.

I agree. Most of these things were dealer prep issues.

I would still buy it again. I don't mind tweaking. Plus, this sled is worth it. But if it needed this much tweaking and it was a general POS, I would be much less happy and more inclined to dump it.

In general, people are becomming less tweak happy. For the worse I think. But I can see this as another big reason why gen y is less interested in snowmobiles.

Recoil fails you rope start from the primary clutch.

Ring gear grenades you walk, get towed, sled spends 3 weeks at the dealer in the prime of an already sketchy winter, you prep a glass of wiskey and contemplate things.

I'll take my chances with the recoil. :)

With fixed clutch covers that is not as easy as it once was when the cover could be unpinned and tilted forward.

Good deal, Rick! I hope it's just a small number of affected clutches here, and Polaris can nip this in the bud ASAP. I hate that it happened, but I also hate to see guys worried and pulling primaries to check ring gear when (hopefully) it's not necessary. I know if my sled didn't have it happen, and I read the same stuff you guys have ... I'd be doing the same thing for peace of mind. Just sucks that it's even a concern.

Happy Trails!

Was hard to read n see the pictures of the damage to yours. Season is already too short without that kind of thing happening. Hopefully dealer can get this sorted out quickly and get you back on the snow.

With fixed clutch covers that is not as easy as it once was when the cover could be unpinned and tilted forward.

Was thinking the same thing when I was pulling my primary off yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom