• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Shim your skis!

Bontz

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
40+
Snowmobile
2022 XCR 650 (if it ever shows up!)
Hey all ... so it's been a long time since I've posted here (sorry). I have a new VR1 at home (it's the 850 with the 137" track). I spent some time tinkering around with my sled a couple weekends ago, and noticed the front skis were the worse I've ever seen them from the factory ... from a standpoint of the tips "sagging" forward. I would highly encourage everyone look and shim accordingly.

Attachments

• Skis2.jpg
    Skis2.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 664
  • Skis3.jpg
    Skis3.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 616
Look how much the tips come up eh, that's wild. I should do mine.

My RMK is pretty bad but A. It doesn't see much trail use/carbide wear and 2. There's no real room for shims with the durapro ski rubbers that I am running.

We shimmed my buddy's new VR1 this morning, with the Bergstrom shims. I don't know what changed, but holy crap ... we were able to get the skis on and the bolt through without a ton of effort. And if anyone has installed these in the past, you know what I mean - there used to be some serious pushing, pulling, putting the side of the skis on a 4x4 block of wood, ranking on the ski ... you name it. I think the only time I swore was when the bushing fell out while I was trying to put the ski back into place. In the past, I was swearing like a sailor!! LOL

i used some old sliders on mine. i may look at the bergstroms. Didn't seem to make a difference for me last year, but maybe i didn't have enough shim.

the durapro do the same thing as shims
DuraPro does not make a ski dampener that fits the matryx platform. The Matryx spindle has the same foot angles as the Axys spindle, the bolt hole is located lower on the spindle. Also, it is important note is that, in general, they do not make any ski dampeners for ProSteer skis.

Last edited:
Is this an on-going complaint about Polaris skis? (Darting?) I've never heard my riding group complain about darting on the Polaris skis.

Has anyone tried bergstroms ski rubbers? Not their shims but the actual rubbers that they built the angle into. I bought them at a sled show a couple seasons back for 30 bucks just to try out. I’m going into my third season with them and have been quite happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom