• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Stuck clutch help

ProX00

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
Switchback ProX
I am having a really hard time removing my primary clutch. I bought a brand new clutch puller from Bikeman but it is not budging. Even tried the water method about 5X. No luck. Sled is not rusted or even show any signs of wear. Not sure why this is so stuck. Is this a common problem? I tried to heat the shaft as well. What else can I do? Is it ok to use an impact? I have not wanted to force it....I've never had to use that much force to remove clutches in teh past. This is the firttime this one is being removed.

Is the aftermarket puller bending on you?

Don’t heat the clutch shaft as the crank seal may suffer.

Put clutch puller in snug/titght and strike it with a sharp blow with a 8-10 lbs sledge and try impact(I don’t like to use an impact or sledge). I’ve had some real hard ones in my day too.

If you can’t get it. Take it to dealer and let them worry about it under warranty

yes, I have already had one puller bend! I bought a new one thinking maybe the puller was bad.

Anyhow, wow! I did what you said and got it good and tight and wacked it with a mallet. Boom! The clutch popped off a good 3 ft from the sled!

Thanks brother!

Glad u got it.

Get that clutch balanced now and make sure u didn’t hurt crank seal

Don’t use 8-10 lbs.mallet/sledge unless its the last resort imo

Another item that has been mentioned here and on other forums is to leave the belt on while getting the clutch to "pop" loose as that will keep the clutch from flying and possible damage!
gtwitch in wyoming

Another item that has been mentioned here and on other forums is to leave the belt on while getting the clutch to "pop" loose as that will keep the clutch from flying and possible damage!
gtwitch in wyoming

This is what I do. On the tough ones I add a little oil to the hole before inserting the tool. Adds a little hydraulic help.

Had this happen on my 12 pro-r... It was broke for sometime.
clutch1.jpg
clutch1.jpg

Wow. That happen pulling it or ?

Ya I cracked my bulkhead so I needed to remove the motor. Motormount hides behind clutch. Put puller in and this happened. Just with a ratchet. Glad it didn't come loose at 8300 rpms... I knocked the rest off with a hammer and took a cutoff wheel and sliced a piece of pie out of inner sheeve and removed motor mount.... To bad I had already cashed the insurance check....

Back
Top Bottom