• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Testing TPS with multimeter?

trdehmer

So, can a person reliably check your TPS with a multimeter? I've seen a couple posts on HCS and Snowest. I'd like to do it, if it can be done without Digital Wrench and have good results?

2015 Pro-S 800 SB

Some people say it works, other say the ECU reads voltage different because conversion from digital to analog digital wrench will have a different voltage than a meter. Not sure myself. I know my PCV gives different voltages than digital wrench

No, you can't use a multi meter as it reads a different frequency then the digital wrench when doing a tps test. I asked polaris about this when the 2015 800 axys came out as I was trying the same thing with my fluke multi meter and was getting a different reading then the digital wrench. It's also in the polaris team tips not to use a multi meter for testing tps.Div20

There's got to be a way we can find out what the Digital Wrench/multimeter voltages are. Does someone have access to the DW that can give us the matching multimeter voltages?? This is extremely important for those of us that can/want to adjust our own TPS without a trip to the dealer.

Why can't tps on sled A that is set to a know value on DW that runs well, be read by the Fluke and then adjust tps's on sleds b and others to that value?

Why can't tps on sled A that is set to a know value on DW that runs well, be read by the Fluke and then adjust tps's on sleds b and others to that value?
I was thinking the same thing rd. But one thing is, the 5 volt sensor reference used must be exactly 5 volts or test won't be precise.

If sled a was set to read 0.913 @ idle voltage and 4.33@ wot on digital wrench. And it was 0.930@idle and 4.34@ wot on fluke multi meter with a precise 5 volt battery to test. Why couldn't you apply that to another sled??
I thought about this awhile ago and didn't follow up on it as I was to busy.

I don't see why it wouldn't work??

Then that may require a regulated power supply to stay on the 5volt value. The old carbed tps tester used a 9 volt. Geez I wonder where that thing is?

I still have one of those old testers in my toolbox.

Brock, where did you come up with the 5 volt battery idea???? The sled only sends 5 volts to the TPS thru the computer which gets it volts from the battery. All you have to do is have a fully charged battery and the multimeter will show the correct volts. The digital wrench also relies on this same principle. This is why Polaris gives us a "window" of adjustment or the +/- values. Don't need to use a 5 volt battery to make this work. Get my snow drift?

Brock, where did you come up with the 5 volt battery idea???? The sled only sends 5 volts to the TPS thru the computer which gets it volts from the battery. All you have to do is have a fully charged battery and the multimeter will show the correct volts. The digital wrench also relies on this same principle. This is why Polaris gives us a "window" of adjustment or the +/- values. Don't need to use a 5 volt battery to make this work. Get my snow drift?
The 5 volts is from the digital wrench and the voltage needed in reference. I didn't mean a 5 volt battery,sorry for confusion. Sensor reference voltage needs to be 5 volts and that's what I meant, get my snow drift?

The multi meter won't work as it reads a different frequency. I went over this last year with polaris engineers and it's clearly in the team tips in 2015 because I brought this up to them

Snow drift...I deserved it back, LOL!
Multimeter will work. (your talking to a guy here who has a degree in electricity...if that matters) No frequency involved here. It's DC voltage. DC is DC. The only time frequencies are used in DC are when you are varying the speed of a large DC motor...ie: frequency drive DC motors used in industry.
The only difference on a Polaris Axys, is that the DW reads the voltage at the computer, not at the TPS. Using a multimeter, we are reading the voltage (again, no frequencies involved here) at the wiring harness, so we have some resistance involved in our calculations to address. Plus the DW is converting an analog signal to a digital signal (same thing your Fluke multimeter is doing when reading voltage) and there is some variance here. This is where we need some help. What would be nice is for a Polaris Tech (any on this forum??) to read the volts using a digital multimeter at the TPS the next time they are messing with a customers sled on their lift and compare what the DW is telling us to what we are seeing at the harness. Once we have the data for both a '15 and '16 800 motors, we will be able to adjust our TPS without the need of a DW. Make sense?

Last edited:
All good lenn .

Frequency is the word Polaris used and what I was told. Voltage made sense to me too.

I did the dw reading and full synchronization on the dw and did a reading with my multi meter right after. I did this a year and a month ago. I put this in a thread somewhere??

Anyways.

The dw read 0.917 volts @ idle and 4.34 @ wot.
The multi meter read 0.931 @,idle and 4.38 @ wot.
It was 17 degrees Celsius that day.

I told Polaris this last January in 2015 and guess what,lol.
They said don't do it that way.

I believe they told you that because not all multimeters are accurate. A $25 meter isn't going to be as accurate as a $75 and up meter. Do you know the brand of your multimeter? The voltages that you compared the DW to might be accurate enough for us to use if your multimeter is a decent one. Was this for a '15 sled?

No, checking a tps with DW then immediately check with a Fluke.

I believe they told you that because not all multimeters are accurate. A $25 meter isn't going to be as accurate as a $75 and up meter. Do you know the brand of your multimeter? The voltages that you compared the DW to might be accurate enough for us to use if your multimeter is a decent one. Was this for a '15 sled?
I have a good expensive fluke lol. With a good battery Div20

Has anyone confirmed the 5 volt reference coming from the ecu is exactly 5 volts and doesn't vary from sled to sled?
If the reference voltage varies from one sled to another, that will skew all return voltages from closed throttle to full throttle.

Last edited:
Minus40, you do make up some good points.
As for being tested on a flow bench with tps attached to throttle bodies. Polaris told me they test idle and wot on a flow bench before attaching it to the sled.
And doesn't need to be messed with unless it's out of sync as per their specs at idle and wot?? Of course they say that.

The throttle body from 2015 to 2016 is a different part number. Is it different? I can't confirm that as I haven't measured that much in depth on throttle bodies from both years?
The total sweep is inconsistent as I've seen from one tps to the next. It varies a little.
The Pcv reads tps different then dw. Why? I'm not 100% sure? My guess is the dw is programmed to read off ecu in a way nothing else plugged in can read the same exact way??
As for your last question bud? Are you being sarcastic?? No one on here says their a genius or a know it all Polaris engineer. Just guys trying to figure stuff out.

Back
Top Bottom