• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Water pump shaft end play

Jeff@switchback 600

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2012/2016/2019 switchback pro-r, pro-s,xcr
Xcr 600 crank drive gear annialated for water pump. I'm at all new parts questioning end play on water pump shaft. Putting new shaft thrust washer new end bushing shaft moves .040 back and forth between bushings. (Technically called bearings). Is that too much? Bushing in case what would be the useable limit on i.d . diameter? Any help would be great I have search service manuals and I have not found information.

Thanks Mr. Sled . I have already looked through manual. I'm not sure if I'm asking for information that doesn't exist.

I think the mechanical seal holds spring tension on crossshaft to crank. I guess if a tooth chips it will get pulled into and chewed up. I guess if it had a limit to be pulled forward maybe that scenerio wouldn't happen. Or just throw it in hope for the best.

I think the mechanical seal holds spring tension on crossshaft to crank. I guess if a tooth chips it will get pulled into and chewed up. I guess if it had a limit to be pulled forward maybe that scenerio wouldn't happen. Or just throw it in hope for the best.

So your thinking about shimming it?

I am no gear expert that creates a new problem. The mess I found I don't want to be repeated. I have read other post some have said it was shimmed wrong please explain. All for sure is that my case bushing face is .015 deeper the original so now I have more play. I'm looking to find a shim to get back to .025. I mean the oringal apparently wansnt very happy. I am also looking for other possibilities for failure.

As said in your prior post the spring tension from the water pump seal will pull the shaft toward the front of the engine. The reason you won't find the endplay info is; all the parts, shaft, bushings, thrust washers, etc. are all manufactured exactly the same with no adjustment other than adding more thrust washers. As long as you have preload on the water pump seal (and thrust washers on both ends of the shaft) it will be fine. You would need way more than .040 for it to have any negative effect.

I like this. Now how about diameter of bushing? Is there there an new case or bushing limit? I am about .001 to .0015 over new rear bushing.

Back
Top Bottom