• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

1997 polaris indy 500 reverse issues

Jason Duquette

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1997 Polaris Indy 500, 1997 Polaris touring 500
Can anyone provide any insight on my reverse issue. I just bought my sleds late this summer. The reverse gear was grinding on the little reverse gear. I tightened up the cable and the bolt that goes through the gear. The grinding went away but reverse wont engage. I cant even pull up on the reverse handle. When i had the chain case apart,it looked like the big reverse gear was to big, not allowing it to slide over into the teeth to allow it to engage. Idk if this was a kit someone put in. I know it didnt work when the previous owned it. He doesn't have any other info on it. Is it possible that the big reverse gear is too big? Help please.

Thanks-Jason

Can anyone provide any insight on my reverse issue. I just bought my sleds late this summer. The reverse gear was grinding on the little reverse gear. I tightened up the cable and the bolt that goes through the gear. The grinding went away but reverse wont engage. I cant even pull up on the reverse handle. When i had the chain case apart,it looked like the big reverse gear was to big, not allowing it to slide over into the teeth to allow it to engage. Idk if this was a kit someone put in. I know it didnt work when the previous owned it. He doesn't have any other info on it. Is it possible that the big reverse gear is too big? Help please.

Thanks-Jason

Possible they didnt install of the correct parts and didnt change that gear. Can you provide an pictures?

Well unfortunately i didn't take any pictures. Ill run the sled as is. There is a youtube video that shows someone breaking down the chaincase which looks identical to mine.(
)

If it was something cheap to fix id look into getting the correct gear, if the current one being too big is even the problem. Just wanted to see if anyone had this problem.. i make laps in the fields and wrap around my house with the kids.. so reverse isnt even necessary except for bringing it back out of the garage when finsihed working on them.. as long as they dont need attention, they just sit next to the house. I just like when my stuff works as it should.

I put orange dots where the two gears are hitting. Not specifically in those spots. It doesnt matter where the gears are on rotation. It really seems like the gear is just a hair too big.

Attachments

• 20181130_214651.jpg
    20181130_214651.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,050
I put orange dots where the two gears are hitting. Not specifically in those spots. It doesnt matter where the gears are on rotation. It really seems like the gear is just a hair too big.
You should be able to pull the gear on the bottom shaft and it should line up and grab the little gear without the cover on.

Yes, i understand how its supposed to engage. My issue (reason for this post), is that they dont line up correctly to allow me or the reverse lever to pull the big gear out to hook up with the little gear. I posted a picture showing you where the gears hit.. if they werent hitting, i wouldn't have made this posting.. i apologize if i sound like a donkey, but come on..

Back
Top Bottom