• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

2002 Edge 700 w/M-10

mikemceachran

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2002 Edge 700
Tips for a sled I am picking up tomorrow. It is a used '02 Edge 700 with M-10 suspension. Looking for any advice about the machine. I was originally looking for the 600 but settled on the 7. I've heard the 600 is more reliable but is there something I should watch for with the 7?

TIA for any advice.

Not really. Make sure valves are clean and the pressure hole from cyl. To valve housing. The bolt holding the lower gear on was a common to back out and/or snap the head off. If it does it can cause havok and break the chaincase. If you pull the cover off of it. Do clean inspect the gears tensioner etc. don’t over look that bolt. We used to drill and tap the driveshaft for a bigger bolt off a newer model. If not make sure it’s tight and use plenty of locktite.

Check all the coolant hoses that go to the water pump and T-stat for rub. If you can see wear on the hose wrap something around it and tape it up to protect it. Some of those hoses are no longer available from Polaris.

I had both an 00 and 02 700, they are pretty bulletproof. Given the age I would check the waterpump belt ( behind the recoil) and also the reeds.
One of my friends has a 02 600 he bought new for the wife that saw little use over the years, pulled it out last year for his son to use and it wasn't running right. The reeds had lost alot of tension from age and were no longer fully closing.

That belt also drives the oil pump so you may just want to change it as cheap insurance.

Service Manual says inspect every 1500 miles.
Also I would also pick up a service manual, you can find them used pretty reasonable on EBAY.

Service Manual says inspect every 1500 miles.
Also I would also pick up a service manual, you can find them used pretty reasonable on EBAY.
Well I tried to do this and got misled somewhat. Thought I was buying the actual printed manual and they guy sends me a link to a pdf. Pretty shitty deal but I am having it printed and bound by a local print shop so I will have one eventually.

Tips for a sled I am picking up tomorrow. It is a used '02 Edge 700 with M-10 suspension. Looking for any advice about the machine. I was originally looking for the 600 but settled on the 7. I've heard the 600 is more reliable but is there something I should watch for with the 7?

TIA for any advice.
Always do a compression check, best way to tell how much life is left on motor. Use a tester you trust, pull 5 times and make sure to hold throttle wide open. It’s debatable but anything under 100psi needs top end rebuild.

Back
Top Bottom