• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

2011 Switchback Assault 800. Shutting down

Hogman308

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2011 Switchback Assault 800
Here is one for the gurus. My 2011 Switchback Assault 800 is shutting down when driving. It goes into limp mode for about 3 seconds, then just shuts down. No matter the length of time I let it sit, it will not restart. However, I pulled the plugs to check compression (120 on both sides) and when I tried to pull it over to check the first cylinder, it gave a little kick. I put both pugs back in after the check and it fired right up. I let it come to temp and took it for a ride. I went less than 1km and it shut down again. Max speed was about 40MPH. Temp at shutdown was approximately 120 degrees F.
I towed it back to the house and let it sit for 2 days. I tried to start it and there wasn't even a kick. I pulled the hood, tried again, and still nothing. I pulled the plugs, checked compression again, and put them back in. One pull and away it went. I drove it around the house for about 15 minutes and it ran without incident. The top temp was 123 in the driveway and in the snow in my field was 116. I did not get up any speed, but I did give it quite a few shots to full throttle and could not replicate the issue. I am not really comfortable taking it for a longer ride, due to this issue. I do not see any codes, although I must confess that this is new to me sled and I do not know how to check them.
The dealer here says two weeks before they can even plug it in to check codes. Any ideas???

First off, the kill switch should be off when pulling it over with the plug wire off. Can possibly damage the coils otherwise.
Given all the stator issues popping up lately, I'd start there. Sounds like something is getting hot in the electrical system and quitting. here is a link to the stator diagram in the post I'm linking below.

First off, the kill switch should be off when pulling it over with the plug wire off. Can possibly damage the coils otherwise.
Given all the stator issues popping up lately, I'd start there. Sounds like something is getting hot in the electrical system and quitting. here is a link to the stator diagram in the post I'm linking below.

thanks. Honestly, I thought that disconnecting the hood would render the machine inoperable so I didn't bother with the kill switch. The second time I did. I'll try the capacitor test

I doubt its the cap in your case since it does it while already running, but test it anyway. More likely a stator or regulator issue.

Back
Top Bottom