• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

95 RXL intake question

dustindennis32

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1995 Polaris RXL 650 EFI triple - current
1992 Polaris Indy 500 -past
1994 Articat ZR 580 with 89 eltigre 330 engine swap -past
I just picked up a decent 95 RXL 650 efi triple yesterday, its missing the oe airbox and air temp sensor, my question is, can i put cone style filters on each throttle body and not use the sensor or do i need both? Sled runs great otherwise just bogs out and backfires when given throttle. Thanks!

I think your better off with the stock air box. Pulls in less engine heat and snow. Quieter. Probably cheaper. Ebay or a used parts guy...

Last edited:
I think your better off with the stock air box. Pulls in less engine heat and snow. Quieter. Probably cheaper. Ebay or a used parts guy...
Thanks! Would you also happen to know if the temp sensor is absolutely needed or can I delete itk

Without the temp sensor, the efi has no way to compensate for that parameter. It's a relatively simple efi system. Temp is one of the important things it has to know to run correctly.

Plus, having it placed in the stock location is your best bet.

Also, if the efi becomes a hassle or doesn't work right. People have switched over to carborators with perfect success.

Just get a set of correct carbs off ebay, make sure they are clean and jetted to spec, have a good throttle/oil cable, hook them up and go!

You have lots of options here. But starting with the stock setup is a good way to go. Especially since parts are cheap.

Without the temp sensor, the efi has no way to compensate for that parameter. It's a relatively simple efi system. Temp is one of the important things it has to know to run correctly.

Also, if the efi becomes a hassle or doesn't work right. People have switched over to carborators with perfect success.

Just get a set of correct carbs off ebay, make sure they are clean and jetted to spec, have a good throttle/oil cable, hook them up and go!

You have lots of options here. But starting with the stock setup is a good way to go. Especially since parts are cheap.
Thank you very much!

Alright so I just got the airbox and sensor installed, fired it up and tried running it in the air. Track moves a little but the sled bogs down and backfires under load. I checked the battery and it was at or below 10 volts, could this be my problem?

Yes. That EFI system needs a good battery fully charged

Back
Top Bottom