• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Assault 800 Gearing

Ace

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
25+
Snowmobile
2017 swb Assault 800 2.0
So I got this new 2017 sb Assault 800 144 it was at dealer with electricstart but had 1.3 lug track but I wished to purchase a 2" lug but would need to sacrifice the much needed electric start. Well dealer took electric start sled & replaced its original track with 2". Was there any need for gearing change at this point ? I don't see any bolts that were turned on my chain case!

So I got this new 2017 sb Assault 800 144 it was at dealer with electricstart but had 1.3 lug track but I wished to purchase a 2" lug but would need to sacrifice the much needed electric start. Well dealer took electric start sled & replaced its original track with 2". Was there any need for gearing change at this point ? I don't see any bolts that were turned on my chain case!
If the track was changed then the gearing was changed. As for not seeing any bolts that were turned on your chain case then it would have been impossible to change the track without removing the chain case cover as that's the only way to get the drive shaft out cause you have to remove the sprockets. Why would you have to sacrifice the electric start?

Fuse, I wouldn't assume the dealer changed the gears, we know some dealerships aren't at the top of their game. Saying that, Ace you need to ask them if they changed the gears to the 2:10 ratio of a 19/40 combo.
I am running a 1:86 ratio with my 2" track as I do 50/50 trail and powder. The 2:10 is a real low ratio and I would only use it if it was deep powder hill climbing all the time.

If the track was changed then the gearing was changed. As for not seeing any bolts that were turned on your chain case then it would have been impossible to change the track without removing the chain case cover as that's the only way to get the drive shaft out cause you have to remove the sprockets. Why would you have to sacrifice the electric start?
Well Big Fuse I'm a small guy who needs electric start. They dealer is not in my area & I was cutting a deal over phone negotiating with two dealerships. This guy matched my deal but told me the sled with electric start had 1.3". He could swap a 2" for extra $300 so I agreed & picked it up 4 days later with supposedly all adjustments made.

Thanks for your response Big Fuse

Fuse, I wouldn't assume the dealer changed the gears, we know some dealerships aren't at the top of their game. Saying that, Ace you need to ask them if they changed the gears to the 2:10 ratio of a 19/40 combo.
I am running a 1:86 ratio with my 2" track as I do 50/50 trail and powder. The 2:10 is a real low ratio and I would only use it if it was deep powder hill climbing all the time.
Outcast, I called back the next day to question gearing the sales rep seemed confused & it was Saturday so mechanic wasn't in but sales rep gauranteed me they gearing was right but couldn't tell me what the gear was. Thanks for your input

Well I would be looking into it that's just me.
I like to setup my sled for my riding style so every change is important.
If you are happy with the performance then that's good.

Well I would be looking into it that's just me.
I like to setup my sled for my riding style so every change is important.
If you are happy with the performance then that's good.
I will investigate further as I feel my odometer & speedo are inaccurate

All that he has to do is look at the bill. Div20

12 back of beer pull battery out, brake rotor, tip sled on side and pull cover off and bam mystery solved lol.

Money on they didn't touch the gears. 300 bucks to change track? labor, oil, new gears, new chain thats more than 300 itself

12 back of beer pull battery out, brake rotor, tip sled on side and pull cover off and bam mystery solved lol.

Money on they didn't touch the gears. 300 bucks to change track? labor, oil, new gears, new chain thats more than 300 itself
Chain and gears in Canada are around $200.00.

Hey Outcast!

I'm new to this form so bare with me here! I was reading all the old post in regards to gearing up the 144 SB with 2'' track and just wanted to try verify couple more questions. You went 22:41 or 1:86 ratio? sounds like the sled has no problem pulling those gears on hard pack? how about in deep snow/swamp riding (I do about 50:50 trail/powder too) can the machine still turn it good or am I going to be eating belts? what other parts (if any) did you switch out with the gearing to help make it easier on the belt in heavy pulling?

start with that, let me no what you think!

If you don't get this for few days Merry Christmas and happy new years!!

Cheers,
Cody!

Or if any of you other guys have the same set up or tried gearing close to it let me known how you liked it and overall preformance.

Back
Top Bottom