• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

axys secondary

Brock

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
30+
Snowmobile
Polaris

Secondary movement under load.
This one has 0.120" float.

This is why INWARD float and outward float is needed.When motor is under heavy load it twist's back toward driver a little and the inward float helps keep the clutch's and belt perfectly parallel under load.Some people are making this way to confusing and it's very simple tech that has been around many many years. Polaris says around 0.050"-0.060" float. It doesn't hurt to give it more as the secondary will find it's happy spot.

This axys model can safely have a minimum of 0.086" washer behind secondary and let it float out from there. I'm not saying to do this,I'm telling what is safe.

I would much rather have a secondary float inward and outward past parallel on both sides of perfect parallel. This way the secondary will find it's happy spot.

The outward float is for engagement only, inward float is when motor is under load and twist's back a little(this moves secondary in)

Last edited:

Secondary movement under load.
This one has 0.120" float.

This is why INWARD float and outward float is needed.When motor is under heavy load it twist's back toward driver a little and the inward float helps keep the clutch's and belt perfectly parallel under load.Some people are making this way to confusing and it's very simple tech that has been around many many years. Polaris says around 0.050"-0.060" float. It doesn't hurt to give it more as the secondary will find it's happy spot.

This axys model can safely have a minimum of 0.086" washer behind secondary and let it float out from there. I'm not saying to do this,I'm telling what is safe.

I would much rather have a secondary float inward and outward past parallel on both. This way the secondary will find it's happy spot.

The total outward float is for engagement only, inward float is when motor is under load and twist's back a little(this moves secondary in)
Good info Brock.

Nice vid Brock
Thanks guy's. It's a little glimpse under load.

When under heavier load(trail riding) the motor twist's a little more usually then this vid I made on Jackstand. This vid is just to show movement, that's why I posted it.

Ideally, the best would be when belt is perfectly parallel under load to have 0.030"+ float on both sides. It's not that complicated.

I like more float. 0.120" for me as I'm including engagement and full shift out.

I agree. I like more float then the Polaris spec. also. yes it's simple guy's. use the tool to get it perfectly lined up. touching both the inner drive sheave and outer driven. then take .60 out from behind the driven. bring perfect again and make sure it has .060 movement from under the mounting bolt. this ends up being .120 of total float like brock said. some are over thinking this.

I agree. I like more float then the Polaris spec. also. yes it's simple guy's. use the tool to get it perfectly lined up. touching both the inner drive sheave and outer driven. then take .60 out from behind the driven. bring perfect again and make sure it has .060 movement from under the mounting bolt. this ends up being .120 of total float like brock said. some are over thinking this.

I see you do the same.

I'm just trying to explain it so everyone can understand

Exactly!

Back
Top Bottom