• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Belt deflection

Minus40

This gates belt thing I am dealing with had me thinking of some past experiences so I dug up some data on the biggest difference I have seen on proper belt deflection.
I offered to help a friends son work on his sled as he was new at it and had just installed his first clutch kit. This is a first run as he had it (loose) then a run after we set belt deflection, no other changes!

20151230_182701.jpg

This gates belt thing I am dealing with had me thinking of some past experiences so I dug up some data on the biggest difference I have seen on proper belt deflection.
I offered to help a friends son work on his sled as he was new at it and had just installed his first clutch kit. This is a first run as he had it (loose) then a run after we set belt deflection, no other changes!

View attachment 873
I am not surprised by that graph at all. Belt deflection and belt length can have a significant impact on performance. Depending on how it is set, it alters your gear ratio, the relationship between your primary clutch weights and rollers and how far your primary spring is compressed in relation to the shift pattern of the primary. It also changes the communication between the primary and secondary clutch and the location of your secondary rollers in relation to the angle of the helix and ultimately how far your secondary is going to shift. I saw your posting on the Gates belts you purchased and where your belt sits on the secondary. Just as an FYI, my dealer was good enough to allow me to go through a quantity of belts to get one I thought fit best for my sled. The measured outside diameter is 45 3/8. I was able to get a Gates exactly the same length O/D and it fits excellent with .010 sheave clearance. My sheave clearance with the Polaris Belt is .020.

Back
Top Bottom