• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Electrical Power Fade when revved!!!!

Seahunter

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2008 Trail Touring
I hate electrical problems!!
My near-perfect '08 Trail Touring (550 fan) starts and runs like new, but ...
when I rev up the engine just a bit, like from 2000 to 3000rpm, suddenly the lights go dim and the tach drops to 0. The engine keeps running just fine!

I've checked all connectors & searched for burnt/broken wires.
Any ideas before I start replacing parts???

Thanks for the good news! I do thank you for responding. I was afraid of that. I'll try to check it out without removing it.

Still having trouble.
Checked every wire & connection I could find.
Battery's good, electric starter working fine, everything seems to be perfect .... until I rev the engine.
Then the lights dim to maybe 1/2 power and the tach drops to 0.
If I let it idle down, everything is good again.
Getting frustrated!! Finally got some snow and can't enjoy it.
Any ideas, even half-baked would be appreciated.

Your voltage regulator is shorting to ground. My 2000 Gen 2 XC did the same thing when it went. I think its still located under the hood above the right footwell on the Edge machines, been a while since I owned that chassis.
Be thankful it went out this way, some go open circuit and blow all the light bulbs from being overvoltage.

Wow! Thanks 850.
I will check that today and let you know the result.
Keep your fingers crossed.

The procedure to test it in my 2000 service manual is basically probe the yellow wire at the regulator, start the sled and slowly increase rpm while watching voltage.
If lighting dims, which in your case it will, unplug the regulator and repeat the test. Do not let the system get over 14v.
While unplugged 12v or greater at 2500-3000 rpm, check the regulator ground or replace the regulator, anything less look for a short somewhere in that yellow wire in the harness somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom