• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

First Post, help with 99 SKS 700

rta0814

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1999 Polaris Indy 700 SKS
Looking for some advice on a sled I just bought. Its a 1999 Indy 700 SKS. Its got 2600 miles and is really nice, I got a great deal on it because the previous owner said "runs well until its warmed up and then in bogs and backfires".
It starts on the first pull and runs excellent when its cold, and the first 10 minutes of riding but once it warms up, it bogs out and backfires constantly. If I let it sit and cool down for like 20 minutes it runs great again until warmed back up. Someone told me its a bad stator but I want to get some other opinions before throwing parts at it.

Thanks for the help!

Looking for some advice on a sled I just bought. Its a 1999 Indy 700 SKS. Its got 2600 miles and is really nice, I got a great deal on it because the previous owner said "runs well until its warmed up and then in bogs and backfires".
It starts on the first pull and runs excellent when its cold, and the first 10 minutes of riding but once it warms up, it bogs out and backfires constantly. If I let it sit and cool down for like 20 minutes it runs great again until warmed back up. Someone told me its a bad stator but I want to get some other opinions before throwing parts at it.

Thanks for the help!
Did you do a compression test on it? Could be a head gasket leak too..

Had a shop try to diagnose it and they ended up cleaning the carbs and fuel system. Still the same issue so they recommended replacing the CDI, bought a CDI and still not running well when warmed up.

Bought a new stator and tore it apart myself and this is what I found: the arrow on the stator plate is not lined up with the line on the crank case so I am not sure if I should mount the new stator in the same place as the old one, or line up the two marks.

Also on the old stator, which looks like it has been replaced before, I noticed one of the metal tabs is bent a little bit and there is evidence of rubbing on the flywheel. Not sure what kind of issues that would have caused. It slightly scratched the inside of the flywheel but not terrible.

Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3575.JPG
    IMG_3575.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3571.JPG
    IMG_3571.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 285

Back
Top Bottom