• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

floating secondary

big tom

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2017 Polaris assault 800
Hey guys, I'm new here and new to the poo's. Reading some of the clutching posts and I noticed nobody talking about running float plugs in there secondary's?. I had one in my rs 860 mod with the team secondary and it worked great.

A float plug is a spacer that's cut to the same dia as the secondary shaft that the secondary clutch rides on. This allows the secondary clutch to float back in forth on the shaft keeping the primary and secondary alined .

Since I'm new to the poo and haven't wrenched on one before I didn't realize the shimming that go's on with the primary and secondary that you don't do with the doo. With the doo you float your secondary set your belt deflection and go. You still have clutching with springs,helix and ramps of course.

The washers and spacers are the same size as jack shaft on Polaris. Always has been for 30+ years.

The float plug as you call it is a spacer on the Polaris and has always been there

Thanks Brock, been reading a lot on my new assault and clutching. But haven't done more than resetting belt deflection. I hadn't read anything on floating the secondary and was wondering. Once I get it thru break in ill start wrenching on it more. A little learning curve going from doo to poo!.

Ya, there's a few guys on here in the same boat as you my friend.

Ask away, guys will help :)

Brock, when I said that I haven't done more than set belt deflection, I meant on my new assault. I'm coming off a RS(snow cross chassis) that I brought new, then stripped, polished tunnel and built a 860 mod trail sled. And the sled before had 3 different motors in it. But the poo primary clutches are a little different, so there's a little learning curve...

The Polaris primary is the simplest primary out there and just plain works, that's why Polaris has had it so long. Old tech but as I said, it works so well .

Don't be afraid to ask , as there's no stupid question.

Back
Top Bottom