• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

HELP WITH CLUTCH PROBLEM

JERSEYJOE

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
indy 650 Yamaha srx Yamaha apex
Trying to help out a local kid. Its a 1990 Indy 400 and he complained that the clutch engagement was too high. I checked it and the clutch off idle was engaging at 5200.

I tore the clutch apart since I had the set-up to do so. Has 10MB weights and a blue spring. Besides being dirty I found nothing out of sorts. Put all back together and it still engages at 5000.

Belt is new, belt clearance is fine. Im thinking that the spring , although blue, is the wrong spring?

It's around 3 3/8 long, 5 coils including top and bottpm

Anyone know the stock engage RPM for this sled? Any ideas what might be wrong here?

Engagement should be around 3800-4000 top RPM should be 8000. The 10mb(blue) weight is correct @ 47.5 grams but are the weights ground at all and did you way them. Also make sure the rollers are free. The blue spring is the correct but is it a Polaris blue spring. Working on that old of a sled you never know if there stock components or after market or if the weights have been ground. Also check the belt defection and measure the belt circumference to make sure its the right belt.

Engagement should be around 3800-4000 top RPM should be 8000. The 10mb(blue) weight is correct @ 47.5 grams but are the weights ground at all and did you way them. Also make sure the rollers are free. The blue spring is the correct but is it a Polaris blue spring. Working on that old of a sled you never know if there stock components or after market or if the weights have been ground. Also check the belt defection and measure the belt circumference to make sure its the right belt.

Doug thanks for the reply. I agree and my first thought was If it is a Polaris blue spring not an aftermarket. Having had an Indy 650 back in the day I am somewhat familiar with the P85. Rollers are fine and it does not look like the 10mb's were ground. A buddy of mine has an OEM Polaris red/white spring I will try to see if it gets me in the ball park. This is a favor for a local kid and I don't want to buy stuff that is a guess. Do you have any Polaris blue springs?

Back
Top Bottom