• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Patriot 850 and it’s consumption

TurboJamie

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2018 SBA 144
Well gentlemen I have a theory here. I have been told but have not yet experienced the patriot 850’s consumption is higher than a Doo 850. This would make sense to me from what I am noticing the Polaris 850 turns about 1000 rpm more than my Doo 850’s for the given speed I generally travel.

For example on hard pack a Doo 850 at 60-65 mph on average is 6000-6200 rpm.

To maintain this same pace on my Polaris 850 I am closer to 7000 rpm.

I wonder if these sleds could be clutched to rev lower but remain responsive?

Reactions: CFM
So what are you seeing for MPG on the polaris?

Idk. They are lean in that cruising area of the mapping. I think it has more to do with the sdi as opposed to the DI. In years gone by. I would get 10 on my 800ho. And get maybe 11 on the 800 doo both 2016 sleds

Or 11 on the poo and 12 on doo. They weren’t. That far apart they way we ride them. Idk. About cruising

I’m leaning towards the rpm theory and will develop clutching around it to test my theory.

Could be. Not saying your wrong. I just know the DI. Is more efficient than sdi. Putting it under high pressure on top of piston probably works better than shooting it into a transfer port. Personally I dont like either one. I want the fuel in the t-bodies. But that’s a different thread.

Could be. Not saying your wrong. I just know the DI. Is more efficient than sdi. Putting it under high pressure on top of piston probably works better than shooting it into a transfer port. Personally I dont like either one. I want the fuel in the t-bodies. But that’s a different thread.

I agree the technology probably plays a roll but I do remember the SDI motors Doo built to work pretty darn well for consumption. I don't have numbers yet because I am just pumping from our tank with no meter on it. I know I filled my tank as full as possible and burped it, ran back in the park at 60-70 mph in loose snow. I took a logging road for exactly 40 km and turned around. So 80 km round trip and my fuel gauge said 45% when I got home. No idea how accurate or not the gauge is and I don't have a meter to tell yet.

I just noticed while riding the high RPM and it got me thinking that maybe we can tap into my clutching knowledge and make some changes and get the rpm down a bit while maintaining the same feel, ET, MPH or more and go from there. If it can be done and GAIN economy I'll be thrilled. The theory is that they likely need the extra RPM to pass cruising emissions that's why they don't lug the motor more in the tq.

Could be or it could be very lean in the cruising area and if they drag it down there it could result in det. Anyway I would never discourage anybody from tinkering or making improvements. I will be following your progression. On this.

Back
Top Bottom