• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Stiff ride

Ace

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
25+
Snowmobile
2017 swb Assault 800 2.0
anyone finding 800 Assault has a extremely stiff ride with little spring adjustment?. W.E. Clicked down to 2nd lowest position & torsion springs on soft. Maybe someone here knows of softer replacement springs I could use all around ? Read some guys changed the Torsion Springs but doubt that will do for me at 100lbs wet weight. Any suggestions are welcome as well as what sacrifices I may have to consider with changes

the two assaults in our group put the lightest torsion springs and they loved the ride after that they were also light weights 160 pounders all they said is why didnt they do it sooner

the two assaults in our group put the lightest torsion springs and they loved the ride after that they were also light weights 160 pounders all they said is why didnt they do it sooner
Thanks. As the manual suggest not to play with coils only thing they offer is clicker adjustment or torsion spring load & option to change limiter strap to get ski pressure reduced.

These Assaults did all of the above
Tightened the limiter strap
Loosened all the shocks
New lighter springs still on softest setting
the springs are measured by wire coil
Thickness just pick the thinnest ones

I've got a part # for lighter/softer somewhere?
Let me have a look tonight

I had these on my list for the wife's new assault. I think I can get away with the lowest setting on the stock springs with mine. Emailed Ian at monster performance today to see what to do with her front springs and maybe shock revalve, as he did up her shocks and dual rate springs on her last sleds.

^^^ In my opinion Ian with monster performance is the best shock/suspention guy in the country (USA).

Yes, I would agree. He's very good at what he does and has awesome customer service. He does a ton of shocks, atv and snowmobile, but seems to flavor doo. I think that's because unless you get a RS doo the shocks are low grade. I have actually traded motors and parts with him, only talked with him on the phone, being his is several states away from me. Everything went smooth. I emailed him a couple weeks ago about are two new assaults and he actually got back to me while on vacation. Being on vacation he apologized for being short, but did reply.
In his reply his said revalve shocks on wifes (130 lbs) light rear springs and stock front springs. For me revalve shocks, stock rear springs and dual rate front springs. I'm 275 lbs, used to do a lot of body building with out gear and we both ride hard, mostly x-country.

I swapped torsion springs to light weight. Hope to add few miles to it now. If it ain't right for me I figure softer springs all around over summer. If that not enough I may revalve the shocks like Big Tom suggests.
Thanks again guys

Much more money but the HyGear AXIS shocks rock. Hi/Lo and Rebound adjustable. Almost infinite amount of range for dialing. If you can't find the happy spot for you somethings wrong.
I found the Torsion spring will loosen up with some miles but if you're really light I'd probably try the lighter Torsion Spring as well. She's a stiff bitch!! Nobody complaining of bottoming problems on the Assault that I've heard of.

That was Ian at Monster performances suggestion and he was on the fly, on vacation. I still need to get with him and see the options.

Guys with the lighter springs/.347, what setting would you compare to the lightest stock spring setting to on the lighter spring. In other words, if your on setting 1 with stockers is setting 3 on the lighter/.347 even softer?.

Guys with the lighter springs/.347, what setting would you compare to the lightest stock spring setting to on the lighter spring. In other words, if your on setting 1 with stockers is setting 3 on the lighter/.347 even softer?.

Wondering about this also.

I put the lighter ones on the wifes 600 sba a couple weeks ago. The stock spring had 3/4 in of sag with her on it. The light .347 had 1 1/34 in sag and she 130 lbs w/o gear .The setting was low. Just wondering I jumped on it at 285 lbs and the sag was 3 3/4. Skid not broke in yet 0 miles. We rode first 70 miles hard yesterday and she wondering about if it will get softer with everything full soft now, and she rides hard. That's in lots of powder and tunnel full of snow and full tank. Never hit bottom.

I would give it time, it should soften up some yet.
There are some aftermarket 4 position spring adjusters available. At least there were. I had a set years ago. The softest setting was lighter than the lowest position on the stock three way adjusters.
The second setting was about the same as low on the stock ones. second was between two and three, third was about the same as high, and the fourth was considerably stiffer than high on the third position on stock. I sold them when I sold the sled they were on and wish I hadn't now.

Back
Top Bottom