• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Target RPM's

JMAXDOX

Wondering how much has changed with this new 2017 Axys motor. It seems Polaris has re-written the ECU with some new parameters. Guessing in 2015 when they unveiled the new H.O. motor they had some serious safety precautions set to make sure this new motor was durable and not one that would have lots of motors blowing up. ((There were some issues but it proved to be strong.)) In 2016 it seemed they erased the problems that were evident in 2015 and I didn't here much for complaints from buyers. I had a 2015 Pro-S 800 which I traded back in because it had the light switch fade issue. Polaris couldn't seem to fix it and I'm not a mechanic. I wasn't about to pay someone to try to fix my Polaris warrantied sled. My 2016 Pro-S 800 and SKS ran great and I still have the S. So this year I bought the new 2017 Assault. I'm seeing what everybody else is seeing. This thing is an animal compared to my last two year sleds. It isn't just the Assault from what I've read and heard. Any model with the H.O. 800 is ripping hard with much higher RPM's than the two years past. Everybody seems to be pulling 8400-8550 and many of these aren't even out of break in. So here are my questions...

1. What is the target rpm for people running stock? Still around 8200?
2. I've put the SLP pipe on and installed Ricks "NorthStar" Stage 2 clutch kit. I've got the Daltons adjustables set between 70 and 71 grams and she is still pulling 8400 with ease. She isn't out of break in yet either. With the extra HP the pipe is pushing anybody have a rough idea what RPM I should be targeting? I've dragged her down to 8300 with more weight but brought her back up to 8400-8450 because the pull seems so much harder there. I'm thrilled with the set up and this Assault has some serious traction for both take off and braking compared to my Switch S. Other than the IGX rear suspension being a "little" harsh.... What a sled!! She will suck up the trash bumps amazingly. I'm going to let everything break in a bit before deciding what I'd like to tweak there. I'm 300lbs fully geared and running all settings Low.

Sorry I got sidetracked... Back to RPM's

Nobody wants to chime in? I guess it's just me? Sure seems like the 2017 HO is pulling more stock RPM in break in mode. My friends stock sleds out of Break In mode seem like they are also pulling more RPM than the past two years models. Maybe nothing has changed and it is all in our heads?

The 17 800 ho is pulling more rpm up top in stock form because of the timing being retarded by 2-3 degrees as we've seen two on dyno while in break in mode . So it's pulling it's peek rpm to 8400 rpm instead if 8250 from the 15, and 16 models .
If you have an slp pipe, the peek rpm should be 8400+

So, in short, a guy should clutch a stock motor stock exhaust '17 to achieve 8400 WOT RPM instead of the prior models target of 8200-8250??

So, in short, a guy should clutch a stock motor stock exhaust '17 to achieve 8400 WOT RPM instead of the prior models target of 8200-8250??
This was tested on 2 new assault 800 ho's that were still in break in mode. So, we haven't gone back to see if anything changed timing wise on a sled fully broken in.I'm curious to see if anything changed too?

So, it's a safe bet to run your sled at 8300 rpm most times and never get to 8500 rpm on a "stock" sled.

This was tested on 2 new assault 800 ho's that were still in break in mode. So, we haven't gone back to see if anything changed timing wise on a sled fully broken in.I'm curious to see if anything changed too?

So, it's a safe bet to run your sled at 8300 rpm most times and never get to 8500 rpm on a "stock" sled.
Stock mine would spin 8500 and barely crack 90 mph. I changed just the weights to 10-68s and could easily crack 100 mph. A friend of mine has a 17 Assault and his spins 8200-8250 and it's freaky fast. On a good stretch on hero snow he got 118 mph indicated, don't know what gps speed is tho. Also on shitty conditions with this warm weather we've been having he consistently gets 107 mph. I'd say that he got a good one. Div20

The 17 800 ho is pulling more rpm up top in stock form because of the timing being retarded by 2-3 degrees as we've seen two on dyno while in break in mode . So it's pulling it's peek rpm to 8400 rpm instead if 8250 from the 15, and 16 models .
If you have an slp pipe, the peek rpm should be 8400+

Thanks for chiming in Brock. Good to know I'm not losing it. It sure seems different than my 2015 & 16 in respect to RPM.
So in regards to where the target RPM should be stock? Used to be 8200-8250 from all of my research.
With the timing change is that still a good target? Or are you saying 8300 to 8500 is the new norm?
Probably until someone dynos a broken in sled we really don't know?

8300 is a safe bet on a stock motor stock pipe .

If it does get actual timing to desired timing(depends on pipe temp) the peak rpm will come down .

More timing up Top= lower peak rpm HP.

Less timing up Top=higher peak rpm HP

Did anyone ever find out if the actual timing gets to desired timing after break in on these 2017 800's?
I am shopping around for a pipe and the jaws pipe looked like a great pipe until I saw it only gained 2hp on 2017 models due to retarded timing.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom