• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Terra Alps coolant bypass

Brock

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
30+
Snowmobile
Polaris
The coolant bypass kit for the pro r chassis works. A lot of time, engineering went into this. Why would you try and put a skidoo thermostat kit in and try to route it to work when it's been proven it flows way less. The cost seems like it's to high to some. It isn't. You try and engineer something that work's???

From the site facts:

We flow tested our Terra Alps thermostat, the stock Polaris stat, the stock Skidoo XP stat and another companies. We soaked the stats in 130'f hot water til stats were open then flowed 130'f hot water thru them for 1 minute recording how much they flowed. The Terra Alps thermostat flowed 33.4L of water in 1 minute, the stock XP stat flowed 26.05L in 1 minute, the stock Polaris stat flowed 11.3L of water in 1 minute and the other brand flowed only 11.85L in 1 minute. The Terra Alps Racing thermostat kit flows 3 times more water then stock thermostat and runs cooler. Making more HP!

This is one of the safest mods you can bolt onto your Polaris snowmobile.

The coolant bypass kit for the pro r chassis works. A lot of time, engineering went into this. Why would you try and put a skidoo thermostat kit in and try to route it to work when it's been proven it flows way less. The cost seems like it's to high to some. It isn't. You try and engineer something that work's???

From the site facts:

We flow tested our Terra Alps thermostat, the stock Polaris stat, the stock Skidoo XP stat and another companies. We soaked the stats in 130'f hot water til stats were open then flowed 130'f hot water thru them for 1 minute recording how much they flowed. The Terra Alps thermostat flowed 33.4L of water in 1 minute, the stock XP stat flowed 26.05L in 1 minute, the stock Polaris stat flowed 11.3L of water in 1 minute and the other brand flowed only 11.85L in 1 minute. The Terra Alps Racing thermostat kit flows 3 times more water then stock thermostat and runs cooler. Making more HP!

What is the part number from Polaris or where to get ??? Need something that flows more than the stock on the 800 Pro 163 in spring riding at altitude!! I have already put the head bypass like SLP sells from the head to a tee in the return line from the throttle body to the fill bottle, this ups the return flow rate but still needs more flow thru the cooler extrusions on the tunnel. In think a longer flap like the 16 Pro has is in the future soon also. My opinion only.

gtwitch in wyoming

I did the skidoo thermostat bypass on my pror 800 switch after the rktek head and piston kit. Temps with stock pistons were areound 128. After the install of head and pistons it was around 135-136. After i installed the skidoo stat housing....temps dropped to 118....and hold this temp very well. Still have the coolant flowing the same as stock including the bypass flow through the front rad. Very happy with it. I think it is a great alternative to the terra alps....even though it msy not flow as.much.....it is a HUGE difference from the dinky stock thermostat!

I did the skidoo thermostat bypass on my pror 800 switch after the rktek head and piston kit. Temps with stock pistons were areound 128. After the install of head and pistons it was around 135-136. After i installed the skidoo stat housing....temps dropped to 118....and hold this temp very well. Still have the coolant flowing the same as stock including the bypass flow through the front rad. Very happy with it. I think it is a great alternative to the terra alps....even though it msy not flow as.much.....it is a HUGE difference from the dinky stock thermostat!

The axys is a little different then the pro r,so someone needs to figure it out Letitsnow

Does anyone have the Skidoo Part number for the thermostat bypass?? Think I will look at doing this mod to our 3 800 Pro 163's for next season riding.
gtwitch in wyoming

Does anyone have the Skidoo Part number for the thermostat bypass?? Think I will look at doing this mod to our 3 800 Pro 163's for next season riding.
gtwitch in wyoming

I'm going to do the terra alps on my Pro163 so I can take it up to the u.p instead of just Wyoming and Idaho!

who makes a plug and play thermostat kit for a 12 switchback 8 pro r with the front rad cooler tried calling terra alphs to ask if his kit will work with the front rad but the phone number is out of use

who makes a plug and play thermostat kit for a 12 switchback 8 pro r with the front rad cooler tried calling terra alphs to ask if his kit will work with the front rad but the phone number is out of use
Try 1 778-753-6060

thanks I spoke to him today and I don't know why when I called him the last few days it would just ring and ring and say it was out of order , he does have a plug and play kit he just changing a few minor parts just due to the front cooler

Curious to see what parts are being added or eliminated. Most tell you to block off the front rad hose and route the coolant the same way as the RMK setup. I didn't want to do that so had to 'McGyver" a few things. I didnt' want to hack up the factory hoses too much either should I decide to go back to stock. the install looks a little weird but works mint. =0)

from what I understood is that the front rad system will continue to work the same way and the T stat kit will work mainly with the rear system I think parts were a extra t fitting and hoses good guy on the phone to talk to didn't really ask much more he said he sells the kit with pictures and instruction lots of Rd by the sounds of it just weighing out the costs before I pull the trigger
what temperatures are you seeing now compared to before

Last edited:

From the site facts:

Wow that's almost three times the flow of liters vs. the stock Polaris stat! Eek

Back
Top Bottom