• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Track Shock Mount Bolt Removal

JarrodL1

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2006 Switchback 600
Hey guys,

I’m stuck with the removal of my front track shock mounting pin. The rod in the photos is the last piece and can’t figure if that’s threaded or just pulls straight out. I removed a nut from the front of it on the inside of the tunnel but still won’t budge. Any ideas? I attached a couple photos

Attachments

• 7201C645-4F11-4728-99F2-2C590A6B82DE.jpeg
    7201C645-4F11-4728-99F2-2C590A6B82DE.jpeg
    700.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 12EBACD7-0F2C-4220-953D-DA2AE668B9CD.jpeg
    12EBACD7-0F2C-4220-953D-DA2AE668B9CD.jpeg
    835.9 KB · Views: 99
Hey guys,

I’m stuck with the removal of my front track shock mounting pin. The rod in the photos is the last piece and can’t figure if that’s threaded or just pulls straight out. I removed a nut from the front of it on the inside of the tunnel but still won’t budge. Any ideas? I attached a couple photos
I'm not sure what I'm looking at, is that a old wear-bar mounted to the rail?

So thats normally a thru shaft, with aluminum spacers, into the lower shock mount with bolts holding it on each side to the rails. Not sure exactly what someone did there with that old wear rod, and why, but it looks from the pictures that the rod is still welded to a bolt possibly. So you're going to have to try and unthread that mess somehow.

This is what its supposed to look like...the shock sits between the (21) washers

1669602388491.png

My guess would be the bolt holes in the rail are elongated so they anchored to another point with a old wear-bar. My guess would be; remove the idler wheel mount next to the bolt, cut the wear-bar just short enough so you can spin it around and un-thread it. A fix that's a little "crude" but clever.

Interesting fix. Not sure I would trust the threads on that wear rod being hardened but it is pretty interesting. I have busted countless bolts there as well as bent several shafts on that front track shock mount. It is a low point, and any rocks or crap big enough to flex the track will give the shock eye a big hit. If the other side has a bolt, I would remove that first and then try a vice grips on the shaft - turning it to see if that will thread the wear rod back out. Post up the fix!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I had been referencing the original parts breakdown so I was confused. It was a pain but I ended up getting it unthreaded and will replace with a bolt. Strange but that mess is over with. Appreciate the help!

Here’s what it looked like removed

Attachments

• D1DD1B49-7167-4633-B2A5-A18E1C88C6E2.jpeg
    D1DD1B49-7167-4633-B2A5-A18E1C88C6E2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 99

Back
Top Bottom