• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Un tucked my ssi pro mag weights

Brock

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
30+
Snowmobile
Polaris
I hated how tucked the pro mag weights were. The tip needs weight cause of the 27 straight degree primary.
Your limited to what springs you can use as it engages to high. A 110/290 engages at 4300+ and a 120/300 engages at 4850.
I don't like this for fast trail . Especially cause you need the tip weight to pinch belt up top. This engages it higher too.
I can't use my 130/290 150/300 or my 140/300 primary springs as it engages 5000 rpm .
I changed it to the same as 10 series,Dalton's and belly buster heels. Now I can use more primary springs.
IMAG0958.jpg

I realise they don't look pretty cause of spot welds but they work now. And there all perfectly matched at heel and weight , which is what counts

Anyone finding weight bushings not lasting long. I have 300 miles on them and they are worn out.

Brock, I'm using 120-310 TEAM white primary spring and SSI's (2-1-3 set-up)....engagement is 4200-4400 all day long. Belt to sheave is .013" w/Gates belt. Primary well balanced by Indy Specialty. Gearing is 23/40. Am I doing something wrong here that I see lower engagement r's than you?

And yes, seem like the weight bushings on mine are slightly worn too.

SLP used to sell a clip to go on the heel pad in a P85 that would work to do this. I think they were called max clips.

Brock, I'm using 120-310 TEAM white primary spring and SSI's (2-1-3 set-up)....engagement is 4200-4400 all day long. Belt to sheave is .013" w/Gates belt. Primary well balanced by Indy Specialty. Gearing is 23/40. Am I doing something wrong here that I see lower engagement r's than you?

And yes, seem like the weight bushings on mine are slightly worn too.
I like to use a lot of tip weight(pinches belt up top). So 3,or more in the tip causes a little higher engagement too. Your not doing anything wrong bud. I just wanted to un tuck these like the other weights and be able to throw 3 or 4 magnets in the tip and engage anywhere from 39-4500 and be able to use all my primary springs.
Right now the highest initial spring I can use is 120 and it engages at 4850 and I don't like it.(drag racing is OK).
I un tucked them cause I wanna use these initial primary springs( 110,120,130,140, and 150) and have 3-4 magnets in tip.

If you have 3 in heel, 1 in mid, and 3 in tip with a 120 initial spring it will engage around 46-4800+

Move 1 magnet from tip to mid , so 3 in heel, 2 in mid and 2 in tip with same 120 initial spring should be an engagement of 42-4500.

Try it??

You're running 7 magnets Brock? I'm only running 6 magnets (2-1-3). I have stock motor, stock exhaust on '16 800. My total cam arm weight is roughly 70g each. I'd say anywhere between 4000-4500 for engagement RPM is perfect for fast trail riding. I do agree though, 4800+ is too high for the trail.

For me 3,800 to 4,200 is ideal. 4,500 is most I want

We are seeing a lot of weight bushing problems also. On mountain sleds, but in the 500 mile range. And this is on a bunch of sleds with 4 different bands of weights. Not sure if its because we need so heavy of a weight now. Around 70g and the old pro used 64g.

Welded on the heel pad, then ground that to match the heel pad height on a 10 series weight.

What RD said Tom .Div20

They don't look pretty, but they don't hit the clutch tower now either on the bottom of the weight. Their tucked so much, the bottom of the weight has a mark from hitting clutch tower.
Look at yours and you'll see what I mean

Just bought a 16 SB yesterday great end of season deal. but I'm reading this thread with my mouth wide open, my worst fear is my 2004 xc 800 will be more reliable than my brand new SB. getn paranoid because I'm not as savvy around mechanics as many of you. BUT I learn a lot from you guys so keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom