• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Which oil?

Backwoods Bob

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1998 Indy Classic Touring 600 cc and 2002 Indy Classic touring 500 cc
Hello,

I am now the proud owner of a 1996 Polaris Indy Classic Touring 600cc snow mobile with about 1,000 hours on it that runs great and a similar 2002 500 cc machine with under 400 hours on it that I cannot as of yet get started. Anyway, my question is what 2-cycle oil should I use?

The manual recommends Polaris TC-W3. I stopped by our local power sports store and they hadn't the foggiest idea what to recommend.
Any help appreciated!
- Bob

As long as it has the correct rating buy whatever flavor you like.

I would run the Polaris blue in that older machine. Stay away from the synthetic with the older machines.

The owners manual does not list a viscosity or "rating", just Polaris TC-W3.

Also, the crankcase oil is listed as Polaris part number 2871280, which isn't at all helpful. I've emailed Polaris, no reply as of yet.

I'm sure this isn't the only old machine still running, and I'm just wondering what everyone else uses in older machines.

I would run the Polaris blue in that older machine. Stay away from the synthetic with the older machines.
But, Polaris Blue is synthetic!

I believe it is a semi synthetic. I think the thicker oil coats the bottom half of the engine better for the older equipment. My newest sled is a 2023. It uses a full synthetic oil. I currently have five sleds, 1998 through 2003. I have had nothing but good luck running the Ski-Doo premium mineral oil in my older Ski-Doos and the all performance mineral oil from yamaha for the Yamaha snowmobiles. If I owned an older Polaris machine, I would definitely be running the Polaris blue which is the closest you can get to a mineral oil for polaris I think.

The owners manual does not list a viscosity or "rating", just Polaris TC-W3.

Also, the crankcase oil is listed as Polaris part number 2871280, which isn't at all helpful. I've emailed Polaris, no reply as of yet.

I'm sure this isn't the only old machine still running, and I'm just wondering what everyone else uses in older machines.
The TC-W3 (often called TC rating) is the rating you are looking for. If you find any oil that is TC, API or JASO rated it's the right oil if it's Synthetic, Semi-Synthetic or Full Synthetic. You are lubricating ball bearings and a piston moving up and down in a cylinder bore just like we do on current engines or engines from fifty years ago.

"Also, the crankcase oil is listed as Polaris part number 2871280, which isn't at all helpful. I've emailed Polaris, no reply as of yet."

That part number (2871280) is for "Chain"-case oil not "Crank"-case. If you find any oil designed for a gear or chain case use it's the right stuff. You should use full synthetic for the extreme cold days. In the chain-case you lubricating a chain, two sprockets and a couple ball type bearings, you can use almost any oil for that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom