• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Y pipe

Brock

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
30+
Snowmobile
Polaris
IMAG0803.jpg
IMAG0802.jpg

The y pipe wasn't flat from factory due to weld distortion I believe. Over 0.045" out. I know the gasket is 0.075" thick, but I like flat. This one was leeking and it also had 2 small hair line cracks.
Apparently there are more of these out there according to dealers I've talked too.
Just an observation.

Yup.
I've found the same thing. It dates back to early 2000's on both the small block and big blocks.
My O2 800 XC XP had a mysterious oil leak under the y-pipe. it was warped big time. I laid sandpaper on a piece of glass (the only really flat surface I could find on a weekend). Took my time and was able to sand it under 0.005". Close enough for me. New gaskets and it never leaked for the rest of the time I owned it. Same deal on my '05 500 XC XP. Same fix and it never leaked again. Since then anytime I have a y-pipe off out comes the sandpaper and glass. It's hard to believe how warped these things can get. Are they like that from day one or do they warp that bad from heating/ cooling cycles??

Last edited:
I guess when these are mass produced, qc isn't present,lol
Yes, this has been on going for years like you said. It's something like this that easily gets overlooked. That's why I mentioned it.

If you have oil in your belly pan, check this and other gaskets.

Leaks=down on hp

X3. Been there done that on a couple 600 ves, 700 ves, and you want to talk about a bitch, 87 Indy 600 triple. We drilled holes in the welders table at work. Tightened the ends down finger tight, heated it up in the middle and tightend them slowly, till flat. Then heated the whole base cherry red. Poured oil all over it till cooled. Smoke like crazy.The boss was off that day.

X3. Been there done that on a couple 600 ves, 700 ves, and you want to talk about a bitch, 87 Indy 600 triple. We drilled holes in the welders table at work. Tightened the ends down finger tight, heated it up in the middle and tightend them slowly, till flat. Then heated the whole base cherry red. Poured oil all over it till cooled. Smoke like crazy.The boss was off that day.
I massaged mine with a vice, torches and a ball peen hammer,lol

Back
Top Bottom