• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

0 to 5 mph problem

KennyK001

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2015 Switchback 800 Pro s 60th Anniversary
My setup on my 2014 Switchback 800 pro s is, 1.73 gear ratio, Dalton weights, 120/310 spring, 50/44F with a 140/220 spring, 1.25 track and 144 1.325 studs and a Jaws pipe.

The problem that I am having is that when I try to start out slow it feels like something is binding than lets go and binds again, lets go...until I get up to about 5 mph than it stops doing it. It feels like what them little 120's tracks (ratcheting?) look like when the kids are pulling up to the starting line. Hope that makes sense to someone other than me. It didn't do this before I put in my setup above. It was stock from dealer before that. I'm thinking about taking each part out and putting the stock part back in and try it until I find the problem. Any thoughts about what part I should swap out first?

Chain tension?

Track tension?

Clutch bushings, spider buttons have to much clearance? Needs rebuild?

That's a few

Hour glassed belt? Take a very good look at it, otherwise check your belt deflection. On the good side it's August.

Chain tension?

Track tension?

Clutch bushings, spider buttons have to much clearance? Needs rebuild?

That's a few

I finally got a chance to look at my sled again. Track tension was good. I didn't look at the clutch yet but think that I'm going to bring it down to Indy Specialty (20 min drive from home) for there complete clutch service.

I did check the chain tension by grabbing the clutch and moving it back and fourth. The top of the clutch moved aprox 1/4 inch. While doing that though, I did notice that the bolt that holds the clutch on didn't seem to be moving at all. I went to the brake rotor and tried to move that. The jack shaft barely moved at all. With that I figured that chain was too tight. I set the tension the way the manual said, finger tight back off 1/4 turn. It still seamed tight, very little change in jack shaft movement, so I backed off another 1/2 turn, 3/4 turn total. I could now see a little more movement not much but a little. I put everything back together and gave it a try. That seems to have fixed the problem.

Hour glassed belt? Take a very good look at it, otherwise check your belt deflection. On the good side it's August.
I did change the belt when this started to happen. Both belts were good.

I agree, on the good side it's August. I figured that I would fix this problem and then summarize the sled.Div20

Tracks also have loose and tight spots even when adjusted properly. Drive cogs are not perfectly round unless trued, same for track wheels. All will also contribute to this feeling at low speeds.

Stock belt or aftermarket?

Back
Top Bottom